Polling underway in Uttar PradeshApril 30th, 2009 - 10:23 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 30 (IANS) Polling in 15 of Uttar Pradesh’s 80 Lok Sabha constituencies was underway Thursday in the third of India’s five-phase parliamentary elections.
According to initial reports, people were seen heading to the polling booths as soon as they opened at 7 a.m.
“I wanted to be the first one to cast my vote and save myself from the day’s heat,” said Irshad Ali, a driver.
In all, 22.3 million voters are eligible to vote Thursday to decide the fate of 256 candidates, including 22 women.
The giant exercise is being carried out by over 100,000 officials and 65,000 security personnel across the 15 constituencies stretching from the Nepal border in the north to the Madhya Pradesh border in the south.
Rae Bareli is the constituency in the spotlight with Congress president Sonia Gandhi seeking re-election from there.
Lucknow is another high profile constituency where balloting is taking place Thursday. Regarded the political bastion of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee who held on to this seat for five consecutive terms, it will offer an interesting four-cornered contest this time among Vajpayee’s protege Lalji Tandon of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) nominee Akhilesh Das, Rita Bahuguna Joshi of the Congress and Nafisa Ali of the Samajwadi Party.
- Polling slow in Uttar Pradesh, 7.5 percent turnout in first two hours (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Polling picks up in Uttar Pradesh, reaches 16 percent in 4 hours (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Maximum candidates from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh third phase (Poll Curtainraiser - Uttar Pradesh) - Apr 29, 2009
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Uma Bharti to cast her vote in Lucknow - Feb 19, 2012
- 57 percent turnout estimated in UP poll's fourth phase (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi named Congress candidate from Lucknow - Apr 07, 2009
- Lucknow poll official dies of heart attack - Feb 19, 2012
- Minister flayed for saying officials can steal from state coffers - Aug 10, 2012
- UP polls' fourth phase also sees high turnout, peaceful balloting (Night Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Congress fields Rita Bahuguna from Lucknow - Apr 07, 2009
- Brisk voting in fourth round of UP elections (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Brisk polling in Uttar Pradesh (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Lucknow sees surprising undercurrent in Congress' favour - May 01, 2009
Tags: bastion, bharatiya janata party, congress president sonia gandhi, consecutive terms, constituency, fate, former prime minister, initial reports, irshad, joshi, lok sabha constituencies, madhya pradesh, nafisa ali, parliamentary elections, polling booths, rae bareli, rita, Samajwadi Party, security personnel, vajpayee