Polling underway in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Lead)May 13th, 2009 - 10:38 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 13 (IANS) Polling was underway Wednesday in all 39 parliamentary constituencies of Tamil Nadu and the lone seat of union territory Puducherry in the fifth and the final phase of the general elections.
Most voting stations opened at 7 a.m. However, poll officials said voting was delayed in around 40 booths in Chennai and a few others across the state owing to malfunctioning electronic voting machines (EVMs).
In all, 41.6 million people are eligible to decide the fate of 823 candidates, including 41 women, in Tamil Nadu.
Prominent candidates include Home Minister P. Chidambaram, union minister Mani Shankar Aiyar and E.V.K.S. Elangovan of the Congress; Dayanidhi Maran, M.K. Azhagiri and T.R. Baalu of the DMK; and MDMK’s Vaiko.
There are 52,175 polling stations in the state. Of them, 4,043 have been declared hyper sensitive and 16,938 as sensitive.
In Puducherry, 760,000 voters are eligible to cast their votes in 852 polling stations. The main fight is between M. Ramadass of the DMK and V. Narayanasamy of the Congress.
- Polling begins in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - May 13, 2009
- Brisk polling in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - May 13, 2009
- 36 percent voting in Tamil Nadu, 51 in Puducherry (Third Lead) - May 13, 2009
- 70 million hold key in three states Wednesday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 12, 2011
- 68 percent voting in Tamil Nadu amid violence, 79 in Puducherry (Roundup) - May 13, 2009
- 60 percent voting in Tamil Nadu amid violence, 75 in Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - May 13, 2009
- DMK-Congress front leads in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - May 16, 2009
- DMK-led alliance leading in Tamil Nadu - May 16, 2009
- 823 candidates in fray in Tamil Nadu - May 11, 2009
- BJP leader Sukumaran Nambiar dies in Chennai - Jan 08, 2012
- Polling ends in Tamil Nadu's Trichy West, Puducherry's Indira Nagar - Oct 13, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Norms being flouted in Tamil Nadu civic polls: DMK - Oct 17, 2011
- Congress-DMK alliance ahead in 27 seats in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: 6 million, booths, congress, dayanidhi maran, dmk, electronic voting machines, fate, final phase, general elections, home minister, m k azhagiri, mani shankar aiyar, mdmk, p chidambaram, parliamentary constituencies, polling stations, union minister, union territory, vaiko, voting stations