Polling in Pudukottai ends, 65 percent turnout recorded (Second Lead)June 12th, 2012 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 12 (IANS) Voting in the by-election to Pudukottai constituency of the Tamil Nadu assembly ended at 5 p.m Tuesday with around 65 percent of the over 190,000 voters turning up to cast their ballots, said an official. Polling was peaceful.
“Polling came to an end in all the 224 polling booths in Pudukottai constituency at 5 p.m. As per latest reports, 65 percent of the total electorate have voted,” an election commission official told IANS.
According to the official, around 67 percent of female voters exercised their franchise while around 63 percent of the male electorate turned out.
Officials said voting began at 8 a.m. and was peaceful with no untoward incident being reported from any of the 224 polling booths.
The by-election in Pudukottai, 350 km from here, was necessitated following the death of Communist Party of India (CPI) legislator S.P. Muthukumaran in a road accident in April.
It was a straight fight between the ruling AIADMK and the DMDK, with the DMK and others boycotting the polls.
The DMK had alleged that the opposition parties will not get justice from the election commission, while the CPI decided not to contest considering its practical weakness in facing the by-poll.
The two major choices before the Pudukottai voters were the ruling AIADMK candidate Karthik Thondaiman and the opposition party DMDK’s N. Jahir Hussain.
In the 235-member Tamil Nadu assembly, the AIADMK currently has 150 members (including the speaker) followed by the DMDK’s 29, the DMK’s 23, the Communist Party of India-Marxist’s 10, the CPI’s eight, the Congress’s five and the PMK’s three, among others.
Counting of votes will be on June 15.
- Brisk voting in Pudukottai by-poll in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- 73 percent polling in Tamil Nadu's Pudukottai by-poll (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Voting begins in Pudukottai assembly by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- Pudukottai to go for polls Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Around 75 percent voting in Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Polling begins for Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll - Mar 18, 2012
- Stage set for Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll Sunday - Mar 17, 2012
- AIADMK leading in Sankarankoil bypoll - Mar 21, 2012
- Brisk polling in Tamil Nadu bypoll (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Tamil Nadu would soon become surplus in power: Jayalalithaa - Jun 09, 2012
- Jayalalithaa condoles legislator's death - Apr 01, 2012
- AIADMK wins Sankarankoil by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- All arrangements for peaceful Sankarankoil by-poll: Poll panel - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constituency, CPI, dmdk, dmk, election commission, electorate, hussain, jahir, legislator, opposition parties, opposition party, pmk, polling booths, pudukottai, road accident, tamil nadu, untoward incident