Polling ends in Tamil Nadu’s Trichy West, Puducherry’s Indira NagarOctober 13th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Tiruchirapalli/Puducherry, Oct 13 (IANS) Voting in the by-poll for the two assembly constituencies of Tiruchirapalli-West (Trichy West) in Tamil Nadu and Indira Nagar in Puducherry concluded peacefully Thursday evening.
Trichy West recorded poll percentage of around 55 percent by around 4 p.m. and election officials expected the final poll figure at 60 percent.
Puducherry’s Indira Nagar constituency saw a voter turn out of around 83 percent.
Polling began at 8 a.m. in both the constituencies.
Though there are 16 candidates in the fray for Trichy West, the main fight is between AIADMK’s M. Paranjothi and DMK candidate and former transport minister K.N. Nehru.
There are 208,447 voters in the constituency including 102,924 men and 105,447 women.
The by-poll was necessitated following the death of AIADMK’s Mariam Pitchai who died in a road accident in May near Trichy while on his way to Chennai.
In the April assembly elections, Pitchai defeated Nehru with a margin of around 7,000 votes.
Tamil Nadu’s ruling AIADMK has 149 members including the speaker in the 234-member house. It is followed by DMDK (29), DMK (23), the Communist Party of India-Marxist (10), the Communist Party of India (9), the Congress (5), the PMK (3), the MMK 2, the PT 2, the All India Forward Bloc 1 and 1 vacant.
The by-poll in Puducherry was necessitated after the resignation of All India NR Congress (AINRC) head and Chief Minister N. Rangasamy, who chose to retain the Kadirkamam seat.
The constituency, which has around 29,000 eligible voters, had seven candidates in the fray.
But the main contest was between AINRC’s candidate A. Tamilsevane, nephew of Rangasamy and Congress’s K. Aroumougam.
The AIADMK which fought the April assembly elections in alliance with AINRC, has fielded A. Venkateswaran.
- Tamil Nadu bypoll underway - Oct 13, 2011
- Polling on in Puducherry's Indira Nagar by-election - Oct 13, 2011
- AIADMK, AINRC win by-polls in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Oct 20, 2011
- It's Congress vs ex-Congress leaders in Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
- DMK mulls fighting Tiruchirapalli by-poll - Sep 18, 2011
- All India NR Congress throws out Congress in Puducherry (Roundup) - May 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa charges Puducherry's Rangasamy with betrayal - May 19, 2011
- DMK to contest Oct 13 by-poll - Sep 19, 2011
- Around 75 percent voting in Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- 13 in fray in Sankarankoil by-poll - Mar 04, 2012
- All arrangements for peaceful Sankarankoil by-poll: Poll panel - Feb 18, 2012
- Stage set for Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll Sunday - Mar 17, 2012
- 70 million hold key in three states Wednesday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 12, 2011
- Polling begins for Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll - Mar 18, 2012
- Brisk polling in Tamil Nadu bypoll (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, assembly constituencies, assembly elections, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dmdk, eligible voters, final poll, forward bloc, indira nagar, mariam, mmk, nehru, pmk, puducherry, road accident, tiruchirapalli, transport minister, trichy