Polling begins in Delhi University and JNUSeptember 14th, 2012 - 12:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) Polling for the Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) and Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union (JNUSU) began here Friday.
In JNU, around 30 candidates are in fray for the posts of president, vice-president, general secretary and joint secretary. In Delhi University, 38 candidates are contesting for the same posts.
The JNUSU elections are being held for the second time this year after the interim union was dissolved July 30 when the new session began.
The National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), Student Federation of India (SFI), All India Students’ Association (AISA) and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) have fielded their candidates.
The Left-affiliated AISA had bagged all the four posts in the last elections.
In Delhi University, the real battle is between the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh-backed ABVP and the Congress-backed NSUI.
AISA is another significant contender.
In 2011, ABVP had won three of the four DUSU posts, while NSUI could only manage to win the post of president.
The results of both elections will be declared Saturday.
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- JNU painted Red as AISA sweeps polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Delhi University election results announced - Sep 10, 2011
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- Tighten security for DU polls, says Delhi BJP - Sep 12, 2012
- ABVP tops in Delhi University polls - Sep 04, 2010
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: abvp, aisa, akhil, contender, delhi university, dusu, general secretary, india students association, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru university, jnu new delhi, national students, president vice, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, sfi, student federation, students union, university students, vice president general, vidyarthi