Polling begins for first phase of Assam electionsApril 4th, 2011 - 8:38 am ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 4 (IANS) Voting has begun for the first phase of assembly elections in 62 of the 126 assembly seats in Assam Monday, officials said.
An election official said voting began at 7 a.m. in all the 62 assembly constituencies in 13 Assam districts.
Voting will continue till 3 p.m. in about 11,000 polling stations.
“We expect free and fair polling with adequate security arrangements made,” the election official said.
People in large numbers queued up before polling booths well before voting opened.
An estimated 485 candidates are in the fray for the first phase vote of whom 38 are women candidates.
The Congress and the BJP has fielded 62 candidates each for the first phase, while the AGP has put up 51 nominees. There are 157 independent candidates in the fray for the first phase.
The second phase vote April 11 in 64 seats would decide the fate of 496 candidates. Results are due May 13.
Among the prominent candidates whose fate would be sealed in the first phase vote include Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, Power Minister Pradyut Bordoloi, state president of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Ranjit Dutta, and senior Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) leader Brindaban Goswami.
- Polls to five assemblies begins with Assam (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- 70 percent polling recorded in Assam (Fourth Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- 39 percent voting till noon in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Election 2011 begins with Assam, proceeds peacefully (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Stage set for Assam first phase elections (Poll Curtain Raiser) - Apr 03, 2011
- Election 2011 begins peacefully with Assam, 66 percent turnout (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Polling underway for first phase of Assam elections - Apr 04, 2011
- 65-70 percent polling recorded in Assam - Apr 04, 2011
- Assam all set for final phase polling Monday - Apr 09, 2011
- Assam polls: 12 per cent vote cast in first two hours - Apr 04, 2011
- Moderate to heavy polling in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Polling begins for second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- Assam CM Gogoi cast his vote, confident of victory - Apr 04, 2011
- Around 65 percent turnout as voting ends in Assam (Fourth Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Voting continues peacefully in Assam (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: adequate security, agp, april 4, asom, assam districts, assembly constituencies, assembly elections, assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, election official, independent candidates, large numbers, polling booths, polling stations, power minister, second phase, security arrangements, state president