‘Poll panel should regulate parties’ internal elections’October 8th, 2011 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 8 (IANS) Former chief election commissioner (CEC) J.M. Lyngdoh Saturday said the poll panel should be empowered to step in and make sure internal elections within political parties were legitimate and transparent.
Lyngdoh, who is in Goa to deliver a lecture on good governance, was speaking to reporters at the venue.
“Election Commission needs to be proactive in matters of elections within political parties … EC should take over these elections and make the matters transparent,” he said,
Lyngdoh said that it was imperative to ensure that the constitution of political parties had to be in sync with the Constitution of India and that was enough ground for the ECI to step in and clean up intra-party election systems.
“Elections within the political parties should be transparent and civil society members should be nominated as observers to oversee the election process,” he suggested.
He was, however, against granting more powers to the institution of the ECI which he said would then be “another demon” in a democratic system to contend with.
“No more powers are needed,” Lyngdoh said.
- 'Reforms in poll panel needed for better functioning' - Mar 15, 2011
- Limit yourself, Badal tells EC; We'll respond, says CEC (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Limit yourself, Badal tells EC; We'll respond, says CEC - Jan 03, 2012
- Apex court questions JNU on students' union poll - Nov 28, 2011
- Quraishi reacts strongly to Badal's remarks on jurisdiction (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2012
- Advani for collegium to appoint CEC, CAG - Jun 03, 2012
- Bengal parties urged against violating poll code - Apr 29, 2011
- Khurshid reprimand needed to uphold EC's dignity: Quraishi - Mar 08, 2012
- Poll panel goes to president over defiant Khurshid (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Notice to centre on MPs facing criminal charges - Nov 04, 2011
- Nepal parties seek more time to form government - Jan 21, 2011
- Nepal President extends deadline for new government (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- US looks forward to working with Putin - Mar 06, 2012
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011
- New poll panel chief after consensus: Pakistani PM - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: cec, chief election commissioner, constitution of india, democratic system, demon, ec, eci, election commission, election systems, goa, good governance, internal elections, j m lyngdoh, observers, party election, political parties, poll, proactive, society members, sync