Poll panel satisfied with Bihar poll arrangementsSeptember 22nd, 2010 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 21 (IANS) Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi said that the poll panel was fully satisfied with preparations for the six-phase October-November assembly elections in Bihar and announced setting up of mobile voting booths in flood-hit areas.
“We are very satisfied with work and hope for peaceful polls,” he said at a press meet here Tuesday evening after reviewing preparations.
Quraishi said that 90 percent of the work of photo-electoral rolls had been completed in the state and officials assured him that the remaining work will be completed by the first week of October.
He said that the commission has decided to launch new measures, first of its kind during Bihar polls, to monitor expenditure of candidates.
Quraishi said that the commission will relocate polling booths in flood-hit districts and will set up mobile booths.
The poll panel team, headed by Quraishi, arrived here Sunday night on a three-day visit. It Monday began reviewing progress on photo electoral rolls, deployment of security forces, law and order situation and the Maoist threat in some pockets.
The team held a meeting with representatives of all national and regional political parties to take a feedback on poll preparedness. It also held discussions with district magistrates, police officials and state chief secretary to ensure peaceful polling.
The polls are to be held in six phases from Oct 21 to Nov 20.
- Election panel reviews poll preparedness in Bihar - Sep 20, 2010
- Keep Bihar electoral officer away from poll duty: opposition - Aug 09, 2010
- Election Commission to review Bihar poll preparations today - Oct 12, 2010
- Election Commission team to visit Bihar - Sep 15, 2010
- Poll panel team in Bihar to review preparations - Oct 12, 2010
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Kumar welcomes poll announcement - Sep 06, 2010
- Assam election parleys gain momentum - Mar 09, 2011
- Polls in West Bengal on due date only: CEC - Aug 20, 2010
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Election Commission to review Bihar poll preparations - Sep 20, 2010
- Haryana has five lakh new voters - Jan 22, 2011
- Two 'unsatisfactory' poll officials in Bengal replaced - Apr 22, 2011
- Election Commission calls all-party meeting on Oct. 4 - Sep 27, 2010
- Bihar goes to polls tomorrow - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: assembly elections, bihar polls, chief election commissioner, chief secretary, district magistrates, elections in bihar, electoral rolls, law and order, maoist, mobile booths, pockets, police officials, political parties, polling booths, preparedness, quraishi, security forces, tuesday evening, voting booths, work and hope