Poll panel reviews vote count arrangementsMay 15th, 2009 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The Election Commission Friday took stock of the arrangements for counting of votes Saturday across the country.
Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Navin Chawla and Election Commissioners S.Y. Quraishi and V.S. Sampath spoke to the chief electoral officers (CEOs) of states through video-conferencing.
“The CEC and ECs have taken stock of counting arrangements in all states and union territories through video-conferencing with all CEOs here today,” the commission said in a statement.
“The CEC reviewed (arrangements) on the basis of a detailed check list prepared by the commission and directed the CEOs to follow it strictly,” it said.
Chawla also reviewed security arrangements for the electronic voting machines (EVMs), the poll panel said.
Counting will start throughout the country at 8 a.m., the commission said.
There are 1,080 counting centres in the country and an estimated 60,000 employees have been deployed for the exercise.
There are 8,070 candidates and more than 700 parties seeking election in an exercise conducted through 1.36 million EVMs at 828,000 polling stations spread across 28 states and seven union territories. The five-phase general elections started April 16 and concluded May 13.
- Election Commission to review Bihar poll preparations today - Oct 12, 2010
- Election Commission to review Bihar poll preparations - Sep 20, 2010
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011
- Sampath assumes office as new Chief Election Commissioner - Jun 11, 2012
- Election commissioners to visit Lucknow Friday - Jan 05, 2012
- Presidential poll on July 19, result on July 22 (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Sampath assumes office as Chief Election Commissioner (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- EC appoints about 1000 observers for Assembly polls - Mar 10, 2011
- Vote count begins across India - May 16, 2009
- Election Commission announces six-phase State Assembly polls in Bihar - Sep 06, 2010
- Pak seeks India's help on electronic voting system - Jan 16, 2010
- Your vote would soon get printed as proof: Poll panel chief - Feb 04, 2011
- Uncertainty over simultaneous counting of votes for civic bodies' polls - Jan 11, 2012
- Cover all statues of Mayawati, BSP symbol: Quraishi (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Each youth should cast vote: Navin Chawla - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: cec, ceos, chief election commissioner, ecs, election commission, election commissioners, electoral officers, electronic voting machines, evms, general elections, navin chawla, New Delhi, poll, polling stations, quraishi, s sampath, security arrangements, union territories, video conferencing, vote count