Poll panel recommends police case against GJM chief GurungApril 21st, 2009 - 1:42 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 21 (IANS) A police case was filed Monday on the Election Commission’s recommendation against Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) chief Bimal Gurung for allegedly threatening non-Nepalese people to vote for the GJM-backed Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Darjeeling candidate Jaswant Singh on April 30.
The Communist Party of India (CPI) alleged that Gurung had last month during a speech at Dajreeling Gymkhana grounds, warned non-Nepalese people including Muslims and Tibetans of serious consequences if they did not vote for Jaswant Singh.
“We recommended filing an FIR (First Information Report) against Mr Gurung,” state chief electoral officer Debasish Sen confirmed Monday.
The poll panel’s decision on Gurung comes days after it issued a showcause notice to GJM secretary general Roshan Giri for carrying a licensed gun at an election meeting at Naxalbari Block of Darjeeling district April 15.
The GJM is in the vanguard of an agitation for creating a separate Gorkhaland states out of parts of northern West Bengal and has extended support to Jaswant Singh after the BJP promised to sympathetically consider the Gorkhaland demand.
- Protest in Siliguri against formation of a separate Gorkhaland - Sep 07, 2010
- GJM activists now demand 'Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh' - May 31, 2010
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Trucks torched, Gorkhaland demand intensifies in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- GJM to take part in GTA polls, Mamata happy (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Day 3 of shutdown in Darjeeling, tension continues - Feb 11, 2011
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- Darjeeling Gorkhas hope hill council will get a nod - Mar 03, 2012
- New state will be Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh, says Gurung - May 31, 2010
- Rally to celebrate Darjeeling accord - Jul 21, 2011
- 'Jaswant's return to BJP will strengthen Gorkhaland movement' - Jun 24, 2010
- Dialogue over formation of a separate Gorkhaland in right direction: Jaswant Singh - Dec 18, 2010
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata after talks with GJM (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: agitation, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief electoral officer, communist party of india, CPI, darjeeling district, election commission, fir, giri, gjm, gurung, information report, muslims, police case, roshan, secretary general, tibetans, vanguard, west bengal