Poll panel notifies first phase of elections in KarnatakaMarch 28th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 28 (IANS) The Election Commission Saturday set the poll process in Karnataka rolling by notifying the first phase April 23 in 17 Lok Sabha constituencies across the state, an official said.
The remaining 11 of the 28 parliamentary constituencies in the state will go to polls April 30.
“We have received the gazette notification from Election Commission principal secretary Shangara Ram, informing us about the poll process in 17 parliamentary constituencies in the state on April 23,” a state Election Commission official told IANS here.
As per the notification, candidates can file nominations from Saturday in the 17 constituencies till April 4. Scrutiny will take place April 6 and candidates can withdraw by April 8. Campaigning will be allowed till April 21.
The constituencies going to polls in the first phase are Chikkodi, Raichur, Belgaum, Bijapur, Gulbarga, Bidar, Koppala, Bellary, Uttar Kannada, Chitradurga, Tumkur, Bangalore Rural, Bangalore North, Bangalore South, Bangalore central, Chikkaballapur and Kolar.
A total of 20.57 million voters, including 10.25 million women, are entitled to exercise their franchise in the first phase.
After delimitation, as India’s IT hub, the number of parliamentary constituencies in Bangalore has increased to three from two until now.
Redrawing of parliamentary and assembly constituencies has also led to the formation of Bangalore Rural in place of the erstwhile Kanakapura in the old Mysore region.
“We will know by late evening how many candidates have filed nominations on the first day in their respective constituencies,” the official added.
By-election to the Bidar assembly segment in north Karnataka will also be held April 23 along with the parliamentary polls. The by-poll has been necessitated following the resignation of Congress legislator Gurupadappa Nagmarpalli to join the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the state.
- Polling process begins in Karnataka - Apr 23, 2009
- Phase 1 of Karnataka panchayat polls peacefully ends - Dec 26, 2010
- Notification for second phase of West Bengal polls issued - Mar 30, 2011
- 40 mn Karnataka voters, parties struggle to get new faces - Apr 16, 2009
- High stakes for ruling BJP in Karnataka's first phase (Poll curtainraiser - Karnataka) - Apr 22, 2009
- West Bengal CM files nomination papers in Jadavpore - Apr 05, 2011
- Notification for fifth phase of West Bengal polls issued - Apr 11, 2011
- Notification for fourth phase of WB polls issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Process for Bengal's second phase poll begins Wednesday - Mar 29, 2011
- Congress banks on veterans in Karnataka - Mar 29, 2009
- Around 15 percent polling in four hours in Karnataka - Apr 23, 2009
- Voting process begins for 17 seats in Karnataka (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Nomination for first phase of Assam polls ends today - Mar 17, 2011
- Nominations for second phase of Lok Sabha polls begins - Mar 28, 2009
- No vote cast in some Karnataka polling booths - Apr 24, 2009
Tags: assembly constituencies, bangalore, bellary, bjp, campaigning, chitradurga, delimitation, gazette notification, gulbarga, late evening, legislator, lok sabha constituencies, north karnataka, parliamentary constituencies, parliamentary polls, principal secretary, raichur, resignation, scrutiny, state election commission