Poll panel notice to Jaswant Singh for doling cashApril 5th, 2009 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 5 (IANS) The Election Commission Sunday issued notice to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Jaswant Singh for allegedly distributing money at an election meeting in Barmer, Rajasthan, from where his son is contesting the Lok Sabha polls.
“The Election Commission today issued a notice to Jaswant Singh of BJP seeking his comments on the Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee’s complaint regarding distribution of money,” a statement issued here said.
The poll panel has asked the former external affairs minister to reply by 5 p.m. Tuesday.
The commission had Thursday said it had received the CD of the incident.
Jaswant Singh was shown by TV channels distributing Rs.100 currency notes to people in Barmer, Rajasthan, from where his son Manvendra Singh, the sitting BJP MP of the constituency, is contesting the elections.
The Congress and other opposition parties filed a complaint to the poll panel.
However, Singh said he was helping out a poor Dalit woman who had approached him for assistance.
The commission had asked the state chief electoral officer for a report on the incident.
- Poll panel to see Jaswant's cash-for-votes CD Monday - Apr 02, 2009
- Congress seeks probe into Jaswant's cash-for-votes case - Apr 01, 2009
- Poll panel to verify Jaswant's cash-for-votes CD (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- EC issues notice to Jaswant Singh for violating Model Code - Apr 04, 2009
- Now BJP's Jaswant Singh caught on camera distributing cash - Mar 31, 2009
- Report on Jaswant Singh's money distribution sent to poll panel - Apr 01, 2009
- Police complaint against Jharkhand BJP president - Jul 02, 2011
- Chidambaram, Jaswant to reply to Election Commission notice today - Apr 07, 2009
- President's son quizzed over Rs.1 crore seizure - Feb 21, 2012
- Jaswant Singh meets Mulayam Singh Yadav - Jun 12, 2012
- Ajit Jogi bribed voters: BJP - May 05, 2011
- Chidambaram to reply to Election Commission notice today - Apr 06, 2009
- Didn't violate poll code, Jayant tells EC - Feb 21, 2012
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- BJP pooh-poohs code of conduct violation by Jaswant while Congress slams it - Apr 02, 2009
Tags: bjp, chief electoral officer, congress committee, constituency, currency notes, election commission, elections, external affairs minister, jaswant singh, Lok Sabha, money, mp, New Delhi, opposition parties, poll, rajasthan, tv channels