Poll panel must act against Varun for communal remarks: Sharad YadavMarch 27th, 2009 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) After colleague Nitish Kumar, it was Janata Dal-United (JD-U) president Sharad Yadav’s turn Friday to speak out against ally BJP’s candidate Varun Gandhi’s allegedly communal statements and assert that the Election Commission must ensure stern action.
“The Election Commission should initiate tough action against anyone who makes such remarks,” Sharad Yadav told reporters after Varun Gandhi withdrew his bail application from the Delhi High Court in a reported bid to court arrest.
Asked about Varun Gandhi’s move in the court, Sharad Yadav said: “What do we about it?”
Asked whether Varun Gandhi’s statements would have any impact on the JD-U’s electoral prospects, the convenor of the BJP-led NDA said: “We are not going to be affected by it. Nobody can point a finger at our secularism.”
He also said his party was part of the NDA; “we are together and there is no change in this position.”
Bihar Chief Minister and JD-U leader Nitish Kumar had reacted similarly to Varun Gandhi’s allegedly communal utterances, saying: “I feel he (Varun) cannot escape legal action.”
Varun Gandhi courted controversy after his allegedly communal speeches early this month during election rallies in the Pilibhit constituency in Uttar Pradesh, from where he is contesting.
The Election Commission reprimanded him while the police lodged a criminal case against him for the incendiary remarks.
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Varun Gandhi withdraws anticipatory bail, BJP rallies behind him (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2009
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Nitish Kumar invited to form government, swearing-in Friday (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UP - Jan 27, 2012
- Congress will be punished for its sins: Sharad Yadav - Nov 20, 2011
- Nitish set to take oath, thousands pour in - Nov 26, 2010
- Stage set for Nitish, Modi to share dais again - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: ally, bjp, chief minister, colleague, constituency, convenor, criminal case, delhi high court, election commission, election rallies, electoral prospects, incendiary remarks, jd, New Delhi, nitish kumar, secularism, sharad yadav, stern action, utterances, varun gandhi