Poll panel gets tough with Punjab policeMarch 22nd, 2009 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 21 (IANS) The Election Commission has shunted out top officials from the home and police departments in recent days to ensure that the May 7 and 13 parliamentary elections to the state’s 13 seats go off peacefully.
First asked to go were Home Secretary Sudhir Mittal and other senior district-level police officials. Now, Punjab’s additional director general of police (ADGP) law and order, Shashi Kant, has been moved from his post.
The charge against Shashi Kant was that he headed the state’s intelligence wing recently when the Punjab government got a controversial secret survey done through the police in all districts which sought information on the “known smugglers and criminals” of all areas who had a good vote bank.
- Oh god, give us good MPs, they pray (Political Prattle) - Mar 25, 2009
- Punjab transfers 30 senior police officers - Aug 05, 2012
- Probe ordered into Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment in jail - Apr 03, 2012
- Drugs in Punjab prisons trigger police fight (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 24, 2012
- Two accounts officers held in fraud case - Jun 23, 2011
- 41 IPS officers reshuffled in Maharashtra - May 23, 2011
- Rs.200,000 counterfeit currency found, one held - May 24, 2011
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- Honest Punjab cop returns lost purse to driver - Dec 20, 2010
- Punjab poll have something 'official' about it! - Jan 20, 2012
- Poll panel team confers with Bengal district officials - Jan 17, 2011
- Secret Punjab Police directive seeks out 'smugglers, criminals' for polls - Sep 01, 2008
- Haryana to have panchayat elections in 8 districts - Jun 15, 2010
- Probe initiated into VIP treatment to PM's 'adviser' (Lead) - Jul 17, 2010
- Poll panel shunts UP officials for being Mayawati 'agents' - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: criminals, election commission, home secretary, intelligence wing, kant, law and order, level police, march 21, mittal, parliamentary elections, police departments, police officials, poll, punjab government, smugglers, sudhir, vote bank