Poll panel finds Lalu, Rabri, Uddhav replies ‘not satisfactory’April 13th, 2009 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) The Election Commission Monday said the replies filed by Railways Minister Lalu Prasad, his wife and former Bihar chief minister Rabri Devi and Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray to the panel’s notices on poll code violation were not satisfactory.
“The Election Commission did not find the reply satisfactory and have conveyed its strong displeasure,” Deputy Election Commissioner R. Balakrishnan told reporters here.
On April 9, the poll panel had issued notices to Lalu Prasad and his wife Rabri Devi for poll code violations and asked them to send their replies by April 11.
Lalu Prasad is in the dock for his remarks at an election rally April 6 that had he been the home minister “he would have run a roller over Varun Gandhi”.
Lalu Prasad’s remarks created a furore and the police had issued an arrest order against him. Bharatiya Janata Party leader Varun Gandhi is in a jail in Uttar Pradesh for his reported inflammatory speeches in Pilibhit district.
Rabri Devi was served a notice for her alleged derogatory remarks against Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and state Janata Dal-United chief Rajiv Ranjan at Saran.
Balakrishnan said the commission has rejected the contentions made by Thackeray, who at a election rally March 20 in Mumbai, had referred to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a derogatory manner.
He said the poll panel has also asked the Maharashtra chief electoral officer to keep a track of the case filed against Thackeray in this context.
- EC expresses 'strong displeasure' at replies of Lalu, others (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- EC issues notice to Lalu, Rabri Devi for Model Code violation - Apr 09, 2009
- Poll panel notice to Lalu, Rabri - Apr 09, 2009
- Nitish, Rabri Devi file nominations - Apr 11, 2012
- Not guilty of violating model code, Verma tells poll panel (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Rabri Devi booked on charge of abusing Nitish Kumar - Apr 06, 2009
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Poll panel should organise debates between leaders: Advani - Oct 29, 2010
- Lalu Yadav booked for remarks against Varun Gandhi - Apr 07, 2009
- Congress to reply to poll panel on Verma's comments - Feb 20, 2012
- FIR against Lalu for violating code of conduct - Nov 01, 2010
- FIR against Lalu, Nitish cries 'law breaker' (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Lalu dares Nitish, Modi to contest against Rabri - Oct 05, 2010
- Thakerays are 'infiltrators' in Maharashtra from Bihar: Lalu Prasad - Sep 09, 2012
- Rabri Devi files nomination papers for Bihar's Raghopur seat - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: balakrishnan, chief electoral officer, chief minister, derogatory manner, derogatory remarks, election commission, election commissioner, election rally, home minister, manmohan singh, poll code, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rabri devi, rally march, ranjan, sena leader, shiv sena, thackeray, varun gandhi