Poll panel censures Khurshid for quota announcement (Lead)February 9th, 2012 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 9 (IANS) The poll panel Thursday censured Congress leader Salman Khurshid for his nine percent job quota announcement for minorities in Uttar Pradesh, and said that as law minister he has the responsibility of ensuring the model code of conduct is observed in “letter and spirit”.
“As a union minister for Law and Minorities Affairs, he has an added responsibility of ensuring that the model code of conduct is observed in letter and spirit so that elections are conducted in a free and fair manner and all political parties enjoy a level playing field in the matter of their election,” the commission in its order said.
“.. the commission has come to the inescapable conclusion that the respondent Salman Khurshid, made a new promise to a distinct targeted group of the electorate among the minorities that nine percent seats would be reserved for them from out of the overall quota of 27 percent for the other backward classes,” it said.
“The commission is also satisfied that the above promise was made by Salman Khurshid as a union minister for Law and Minorities Affairs. Thus, Salman Khurshid has violated the model code of conduct by making the abovesaid promise,” it added.
“The Commission, therefore, cannot help expressing its deep anguish and disappointment over his violation of model code of conduct,” the order said.
“.. the commission hereby censures Salman Khurshid and hopes and expects that such violations of model code of conduct would not be repeated by him in future,” the poll panel said. The BJP had filed a complaint against Khurshid to the poll panel.
Khurshid, while addressing an election rally in the Farrukhabad constituency from where his wife Louis is seeking election to the state assembly, had said that if the Congress comes to power in Uttar Pradesh it would provide nine percent job quota to minorities.
- Poll panel censures Khurshid for quota announcement - Feb 09, 2012
- Poll panel censures Khurshid for quota announcement (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- After his apology, end row over Khurshid: Congress - Feb 15, 2012
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- EC to act on Khurshid after hearing from PM (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Khurshid did not violate model code: Congress tells poll panel - Jan 20, 2012
- Khurshid's remarks: Poll panel seeks president's intervention - Feb 11, 2012
- Khurshid should follow law of the land: Congress - Feb 12, 2012
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Have not violated poll code, says Khurshid - Jan 11, 2012
- Congress in quota controversy again (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Poll panel has last word on code violation: Jurist - Feb 12, 2012
- Will get backwards their dues even if poll panel hangs me: Khurshid - Feb 11, 2012
- Poll panel goes to president over defiant Khurshid (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Poll panel goes to president over defiant Khurshid (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: added responsibility, anguish, bjp, censures, code of conduct, congress leader, constituency, election rally, electorate, inescapable conclusion, law minister, minorities, model code, political parties, quota, respondent, salman, state assembly, targeted group, union minister