Poll panel begins two-day Bihar visitAugust 8th, 2010 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 8 (IANS) An Election Commission (EC) team began a two-day Bihar visit Sunday to oversee preparations for the forthcoming assembly polls in the state, an official said.
The team, headed by Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi, arrived here Sunday afternoon and held a meeting with representatives of political parties later in the evening.
“Political parties’ representatives, particularly the opposition Rashtriya Janata Dal, Lok Janshakti Party and Congress complained about officials posted in different districts and demanded deployment of adequate security to conduct free and fair polls,” an official, who was present in the meeting, told IANS.
The team will hold discussions with divisional commissioners, district magistrates and superintendents of police of all the districts of the state Monday on ensuring peaceful polling. After that, talks will be held with the state chief secretary and the director general of police.
Official sources said that EC will announce the dates for the assembly polls next week after reviewing the election preparedness.
- Keep Bihar electoral officer away from poll duty: opposition - Aug 09, 2010
- Full EC to visit Bengal April 28 - Apr 25, 2011
- Poll panel to review preparations in West Bengal - Mar 21, 2011
- EC to visit West Bengal to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 27, 2011
- Quraishi to review Uttar Pradesh poll preparedness - Nov 27, 2011
- Election panel reviews poll preparedness in Bihar - Sep 20, 2010
- Election Commission team to visit Bihar - Sep 15, 2010
- Liberal distribution of firearms licences in Uttar Pradesh a concern: CEC - Nov 28, 2011
- Poll panel to review election preparedness in West Bengal - Mar 18, 2011
- Hours before poll panel's arrival, Rs.85 lakh seized in Punjab - Dec 26, 2011
- Poll panel satisfied with Bihar poll arrangements - Sep 22, 2010
- EC meets top Bengal officials to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 28, 2011
- Election Commission in Kolkata to review poll preparedness - Apr 28, 2011
- Chief Election Commissioner reviews election preparedness in Assam - Mar 07, 2011
- Poll panel team in Bihar to review preparations - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: adequate security, assembly polls, chief election commissioner, chief secretary, congress, deployment, district magistrates, ec, election commission, forthcoming assembly, janata, lok, opposition, police official, political parties, poll, preparedness, quraishi, state chief, sunday afternoon