Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five statesSeptember 4th, 2012 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 4 (IANS) The Election Commission has begun the spadework for assembly elections in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura, Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh, scheduled early next year, an official said here Tuesday.
“The commission might hold the assembly polls due in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura, Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh separately. After conducting the elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh, assembly polls might be hold in the three northeastern states,” an Election Commission official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
The poll panel last month held a meeting with the top officials of the five states to discuss strategy.
The Election Commission has asked the chief electoral officers of the three election-bound northeastern states — Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland — to conduct a summary revision of electoral rolls and to include all voters under the Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) scheme.
“The three-month-long summary revision would start in October and end on Jan 5, 2013 with the publication of final electoral rolls. The qualifying date of the proposed rolls would be Jan 1, 2013,” the official added.
Tripura is ruled by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Front, the Naga People’s Front (NPF) led by Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) is in power in Nagaland and Meghalaya is ruled by the Congress. The Bharatiya Janata Party is in power in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
The three northeastern states — Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura — have 60 assembly seats each. Gujarat has 182 seats and Himachal Pradesh 68.
- Security, corruption issues in coming northeast polls: Congress - Apr 30, 2012
- Rahul to visit northeast next week - Nov 03, 2011
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Will push for electoral reforms, says Sampath - Jun 11, 2012
- Tribal Forum of India to float new party: Sangma - Jul 31, 2012
- Pranab will out-do Sangma in northeast: Congress - Jul 19, 2012
- Gadkari in Assam to review party activities - May 12, 2012
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- Poll panel to review Himachal's poll preparedness - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: anonymity, assembly elections, assembly polls, assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, democratic alliance, election commission, electoral officers, electoral rolls, electors, groundwork, gujarat, himachal pradesh, nagaland, northeastern states, poll, spadework