Poll panel asks for Kolkata top cop’s removal (Lead)March 16th, 2011 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 16 (IANS) The Election Commission has sought the replacement of Kolkata Police Commissioner Gautam Mohan Chakraborty as he has completed more than three years in office, a West Bengal electoral officer said Wednesday.
The Election Commission Tuesday evening instructed West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta to approach the state government on the issue.
Accordingly, state Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh was asked for the replacement of the city police commissioner.
“The government has also been asked to prepare a panel of three officers for the post and submit it to the Election Commission. The commission will choose the candidate,” Additional Chief Electoral Officer N.K. Sahana said.
Earlier, the Election Commission had issued a general order Dec 14 that police officers from the rank of sub-inspector up to inspector general having served more than three years in the same post or in their home district should be transferred before the April-May assembly polls.
However, this order is not applicable for officers above the rank of inspector general and officers who are posted in state headquarters.
“As the state government did not replace Chakraborty between Dec 14 and Feb 28, the Election Commission had to intervene into the matter,” Sahana said.
“After the announcement of poll dates, all the police officers from the rank of constable to director general of police come under the deputation of the Election Commission. So, the commission has the authority to replace any police officer who was not transferred according to the order,” Sahana said.
Asked why Chakraborty should be replaced since he was an additional director general rank officer and was posted in state headquarters, Sahana said: “The Election Commission has not clarified the reason. So, I will not be able to comment in this regard.”
- Poll panel seeks replacement of Kolkata police chief - Mar 16, 2011
- Kolkata gets new police chief - Mar 17, 2011
- Poll panel to review election preparedness in West Bengal - Mar 18, 2011
- Three Bengal officers shifted on poll panel's direction - Mar 28, 2011
- Full EC to visit Bengal April 28 - Apr 25, 2011
- Poll panel receives complaints against Pranab's son, Mamata - Mar 14, 2011
- Poll panel team to again visit West Bengal - Feb 08, 2011
- EC to visit West Bengal to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 27, 2011
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011
- Officials discuss poll arrangements for Kolkata - Jan 18, 2011
- Railways, Kolkata municipality to be asked to remove Mamata's photos - Mar 25, 2011
- Meeting in Delhi on security for poll-bound states - Mar 24, 2011
- Poll panel to review preparations in West Bengal - Mar 21, 2011
- Bengal parties urged against violating poll code - Apr 29, 2011
- Poll panel officer meets Bengal bureaucrats, police officials - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: chief electoral officer, chief secretary, city police, constable, deputation, director general, election commission, gautam, ghosh, gupta, inspector general, mohan, police commissioner, police officers, sahana, samar, state chief, state headquarters, tuesday evening, west bengal