Politician booked for casteist remarks against MayawatiApril 20th, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 20 (IANS) A case was filed Monday against Rashid Umar Ansari, the national secretary of the Peace Party of India, for making casteist remarks against Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati at a public meeting, police said Monday.
“Ansari has been booked under section 3(1)10 of the SC/ST (Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes) Act for insulting the chief minister by making caste-based objectionable comments,” police inspector Anoop Kumar Shukla told IANS over telephone.
Ansari allegedly made the remarks during a public meeting organised Sunday at a college in Itwa locality in Siddharthnagar district, he added.
Peace Party of India is a regional outfit having its base in pockets in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
Siddharthnagar district is some 350 km from Lucknow.
- Two arrested with Rs.2 crore antique idol - Aug 02, 2011
- BSP leader booked for beating Dalit labourer in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 21, 2009
- Drug peddler held with Rs.20 lakh cannabis - Jan 06, 2011
- Left disrupts Kerala assembly proceedings - Nov 03, 2011
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- BSP lawmaker in Uttar Pradesh booked for assaulting Dalits - Oct 24, 2009
- After attacks, Dalits flee two Rajasthan villages - Feb 19, 2011
- Two face cases for using abusive terms against Mayawati - Nov 17, 2008
- Mayawati's action 'vindictive': BJP leader - Jul 16, 2009
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' ban evokes mixed reactions in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 11, 2011
- Government employees boycott work over mistreatment of Dalit - Feb 03, 2010
- Dalits protest against Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- Two Nepali drug peddlers held in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 23, 2010
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: caste, chief minister, India, locality, lucknow, Mayawati, national secretary, objectionable comments, peace party, pockets, police inspector, politician, rashid, section 3, shukla, tribes, umar