Police recover Maoist arms, explosivesDecember 13th, 2011 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 13 (IANS) Police have recovered a huge cache of arms and explosives during an anti-Maoist operation in Odisha’s Rayagada district, district superintendent of police Anoop Krishna said Tuesday.
“Police had raided the Sitagudi forest area bordering the communally sensitive Kandhamnal district both Sunday and Monday on the basis of information provided by a surrendered Maoist cadre,” Krishna told IANS.
“The items seized include 14 country-made guns, 15 land mines, 17 detonators, and 18 number of tiffin carriers used for making land mines,” he said.
“This dump was made by a prominent Maoist leader 2-3 years back and a local militia group was about to retrieve that, especially the landmines, with an intention to do something big,” said Krishna.
“The local militia was to carry it to some undisclosed location. Before that, district police recovered the entire dump from four different locations,” he added.
Both Rayagada and Kandhamal district are considered Maoist strongholds.
- Police unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Jul 18, 2012
- Five Maoists held in Orissa - Dec 15, 2010
- Two minors among five Maoists held in Orissa (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Security forces unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Sep 11, 2012
- Maoist kill tribal politician - May 23, 2012
- Maoists torch machinery in Odisha - Jan 04, 2012
- Orissa Maoist involved in two murders held - Aug 14, 2010
- Explosives seized in Odisha - Feb 08, 2012
- Maoists abduct two Italians in Odisha (Fourth Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Three cops killed in Maoist blast (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Maoists kill home guard in Odisha ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Maoist bandh hits life in Orissa - Feb 21, 2011
- Hardcore Maoist arrested in Orissa with huge cache of arms - Feb 06, 2010
- Maoists blast police vehicle, three die - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: 3 years, anoop, arms and explosives, detonators, district police, district superintendent, forest area, guns, intention, krishna, land mines, landmines, maoist, militia group, odisha, strongholds, undisclosed location