Police question elusive CPI-M leader (Lead, Changing dateline)July 5th, 2012 - 5:36 am ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 4 (IANS) CPI-M leader M.M Mani was Wednesday questioned for around five hours in Idukki in Kerala for claiming that his party had killed four political rivals.
Mani, who was sacked as the Idukki district secretary after his claim embarrassed the party, suddenly turned up for questioning after failing to keep his date with police on two earlier occasions.
Mani has been in the dock since his May 25 speech in which he said his party had liquidated four political rivals in the 1980s and described how each one of them was killed.
On Monday, after failing to respond to police summons, authorities launched a hunt for him.
On Wednesday morning, he presented himself before a police team along with two legislators of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
“Police were very friendly throughout the long session,” he later said. “I have told them I will return any time they want me.”
Inspector General of Police K. Padmakumar told reporters the questioning went on for five hours.
“We got a lot of information on the cases since 1983. The entire questioning was videographed,” he said.
“Now, we will have to verify his statements with others’ and he will be asked to come again,” he said.
- Elusive CPI-M leader turns up for questioning - Jul 05, 2012
- CPI-M leader evades Kerala Police questioning - Jul 02, 2012
- CPI-M removes Mani from post for his fiery speech - Jun 06, 2012
- Mani fails to appear before Kerala Police - Jun 06, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader charged with murder, conspiracy - May 28, 2012
- Mani approaches high court to quash FIR - Jun 05, 2012
- Kerala government to proceed against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy - Jun 03, 2012
- CPI-M promises action against Kerala leader - May 29, 2012
- Case will be made against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader charged with murder (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Will ask poll panel to cancel CPI-M's registration: UDF - May 28, 2012
- CPI-M on back foot as Kerala assembly session starts Monday (Letter from Kerala) - Jun 10, 2012
- CPI-M pulls up leader for murder claims - May 27, 2012
- Court refuses to quash FIR against CPI-M leader - Jun 28, 2012
- Chandy rebuts Left claims of police torture in murder case - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: 1980s, authorities, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dateline, district secretary, inspector general, july 4, kerala, legislators, long session, occasions, padmakumar, police team, political rivals, summons, wednesday morning