Police file case over Goa land allotmentAugust 18th, 2012 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 18 (IANS) After nearly six years of delay, Goa Police Saturday filed a first information report (FIR) against “unknown” people in connection with an alleged multi-crore rupee land allotment scam in special economic zones (SEZs).
According to a police spokesperson, the FIR was filed by the anti-corruption bureau (ACB) against unknown private people as well as as yet unknown employees of the Goa Industrial Development Corp (GIDC), which was the nodal agency for allotment of plots acquired by the Goa government for setting up of seven SEZs.
The complaint was filed with the ACB by Mandar Shirodkar in 2007.
According to the FIR, seven SEZ promoters - namely, Meditab Specialties Pvt. Ltd., Peninsula Pharma Research Centre Pvt. Ltd., K. Raheja Corp Pvt. Ltd., Paradigam Logistics and Distribution Pvt. Ltd.., Inox Mercantile Co. Pvt. Ltd., Planetview Mercantile Co. Pvt. Ltd and Maxgrow Finlease Pvt. Ltd. - were beneficiaries of the “arbitrary and illegal allotment of land” in 2006-07.
The FIR said that the scam was effected by hatching criminal conspiracy, manipulation of documents and cheating the government in connivance with the officials of the GIDC.
The SEZs were allotted during 2006-07, when Pratapsingh Rane was heading a Congress-led coalition government.
A subsequent Congress-led coalition government, headed by Digambar Kamat, was forced to scrap the SEZ policy in view of public outcry against the alleged fraudulent allotment of land to SEZ promoters.
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Probe demanded into Goa land scam with Margaret Alva links - Oct 15, 2011
- Goa trade body builds war chest to take on scam - Aug 30, 2011
- Rights group accuses Kamat, Congress MLA of land scam - Feb 09, 2011
- Court to hear developers' plea in Goa SEZ muddle - Sep 07, 2008
- Goa court directs FIR against minister in land scam case - Jan 11, 2011
- FIR against builder, bureaucrat in Mumbai land scam - Jul 05, 2012
- People's audit of SEZ to include corporate, state members - Dec 20, 2009
Tags: acb, coalition government, connivance, corruption bureau, criminal conspiracy, economic zones, fir, gidc, goa government, goa police, information report, k raheja, kamat, land allotment, nodal agency, police spokesperson, public outcry, pvt ltd, rane, shirodkar