PM’s statement on Hazare disappointing: NitishAugust 17th, 2011 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 17 (IANS) Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Wednesday said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s statement in parliament regarding the police action against anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare was “disappointing”.
“PM Singh has disappointed me and all by his statement in parliament,” Kumar said.
Earlier in the day, Manmohan Singh had said: “The path he (Anna) has chosen to impose his draft of a bill upon parliament is totally misconceived and fraught with grave consequences for our parliamentary democracy.”
Nitish Kumar said that it was not expected from the prime minister as he is considered above petty politics.
“It is beyond comprehension what threat the movement launched by Hazare has to the government. Everybody has the right to protest democratically in a non-violent way,” he said.
Nitish alleged that central government was trying to suppress a peaceful and democratic movement. “The central government was afraid of the massive support to Anna’s movement against corruption across the country” he said.
Kumar said powerful people in the government must see the writing on the wall. “Any government cannot deprive people of their right of protest in a democracy,” he said.
Nitish Kumar said that police action against Anna Hazare reminded of the emergency period in 1974.
- Bihar's ruling alliance slams UPA government on Hazare arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- Amid Anna storm, PM chides an adamant Hazare (Evening Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Indian PM defends arrest of anti-graft activist - Aug 17, 2011
- Indians in Tokyo rejoice over Anna's victory - Aug 28, 2011
- Hazare's path 'fraught with grave consequences', says PM (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Akali Dal slams government on Anna's arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- PM says Hazare's path is wrong, protests continue (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna logjam has PM fuming, mass protests continue (Night Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna Hazare detained, India outraged (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anti-Hazare groups condemn his agitation - Dec 26, 2011
- We also won't allow undermining of parliament: BJP - Aug 17, 2011
- Thousands join anti-graft crusade as Hazare begins fast (Intro Roundup) - Apr 05, 2011
- Team Anna launches fast, targets Pranab, PM (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Manmohan must realise people rising up against graft' - Aug 18, 2011
- Thousands join anti-graft crusade as Hazare begins fast (Roundup) - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, central government, chief minister, comprehension, corruption, crusader, democratic movement, grave consequences, manmohan, manmohan singh, massive support, nitish, parliament, parliamentary democracy, petty politics, police action, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, writing on the wall