PM’s family on rare media outing; miss driving, says Gursharan KaurApril 21st, 2009 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) It might sound like a cakewalk but adjusting to life as the prime minister’s wife and daughters is not easy. Just ask Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s family who Tuesday spoke out on the travails of being the first family and missing out on small pleasures like driving.
In what is perhaps the first media interview of the often reticent prime minister’s family, his wife Gursharan Kaur, flanked by their daughters, told a television channel that being the country’s first lady “certainly” entailed compromising on smaller pleasures.
“I certainly miss my driving, trips to Mother Dairy or to other fruits and vegetables markets,” Gursharan Kaur told CNN-IBN in an interview, with her daughters Daman and Upender on either side.
Describing her husband’s commitment to his work, she added: “For my husband, work is his religion.”
While Upender is a lecturer in history, Daman has just penned her debut novel “Nine by Nine”. A third sister Amrit is in the US.
Daman, the prime minister’s second daughter, said she too had found it difficult to adjust to being the prime minister’s daughter.
“In the first year I was angry and very bitter. By the second year I was able to rationalise that it was not his (Manmohan Singh’s) fault,” Daman said smiling.
- We miss our driving, shopping, normal life: PM wife and daughters (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- The Singhs of 7 RCR: Another five years in spotlight - May 21, 2009
- A little holiday for the PM - Sep 26, 2011
- PM's daughter well into parents' biography - Sep 20, 2011
- My childhood has crept into my book: PM's daughter (Interview) (With Image) - Aug 16, 2010
- PM celebrates birthday mid-air - Sep 27, 2011
- PM meets Ansari on Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- My father has clear conscience: PM's daughter Daman Singh - Jan 24, 2011
- Gursharan visits Dhaka gurdwara - Sep 06, 2011
- Prime Minister's birthday marked with prayers, sweets distribution in Amritsar - Sep 26, 2010
- PM arrives in Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh celebrates 77th birthday on board Aircraft - Sep 26, 2009
- PM's sister-in-law dead - Jan 04, 2010
- Malaysian hospitality: PM's wife sings to Indian guests - Oct 28, 2010
- Zohra Sehgal celebrates her century with 'official biography' (With Image) - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: amrit, cakewalk, cnn, cnn ibn, daman, debut novel, first lady, fruits and vegetables, gursharan kaur, lecturer, manmohan, manmohan singh, media interview, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, small pleasures, television channel, travails, upender