PM’s dinner for Somnath - a private, Bengali affairApril 15th, 2009 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Perhaps for the first time, the catering at a dinner hosted by the prime minister was not by a government organisation but by a private restaurant chain.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s intimate dinner in honour of outgoing Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee at his 7 Race Course Road residence Tuesday evening had an authentic Bengali menu, with seafood and fish dishes dominating the table.
Usually, official dinners are looked after by the state-owned India Tourism Development Corporation - but, in a break from tradition, the catering was handled by Oh Calcutta, a fine dining restaurant, which is part of the Speciality Restaurants Private Limited.
The menu was an all-Bengali affair, with special lentil dishes and elaborate seafood recipes like bhapa chingri or steamed shrimp.
The invitation list was very exclusive, with just about 20 persons - including senior political leaders of various parties and cultural personalities like sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan.
The dinner has, however, become more famous for its absentees - chief among them, leader of opposition and BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani. There is an ongoing war of words between Advani and the PM in recent days, over the BJP leader terming the latter as a “weak prime minister”.
The other notable absence was any representation from the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), the former party of the speaker.
- Fish to brinjal fry...take your pick at Puja (Feature) - Oct 03, 2011
- Spit roasts to kofta, tuck into festive feasts in Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
- Indian cuisines coexist, promote tolerance: Australian restaurateur - Nov 16, 2011
- Delhi samples exotic flavours of Ecuador (With Image) - Oct 17, 2010
- Sumptuous menu at UPA's dinner; Mulayam, Lalu on main dais - May 23, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- Sachin's favourite - lobsters cooked Bengali style - Nov 14, 2009
- Queen hilsa reigns over Kolkata palates (Eating Out With IANS) - Sep 10, 2010
- For your tastebuds - food from Tagore's home (Eating Out With IANS) - Aug 11, 2011
- Thali goes quick-eat in world of corporate bites (With Images) - Aug 21, 2011
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- A Bihari menu awaits BJP leaders - Jun 11, 2010
- Pranab da called, but didn't ask for support: Advani - Jun 25, 2012
- Paranthas, Punjabi dishes a hit at Games Village - Oct 10, 2010
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: amjad ali khan, bjp leader, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, fine dining restaurant, fish dishes, india tourism, l k advani, leader of opposition, lentil dishes, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime ministerial candidate, sarod maestro amjad ali khan, seafood recipes, somnath chatterjee, speciality restaurants, tourism development corporation