PMO attempts to counter Anna’s anti-corruption stir threatJuly 24th, 2012 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) With Anna Hazare giving an ultimatum for his team’s Jan Lokpal Bill to be brought in parliament, the government Tuesday tried to blunt his threat by issuing a lengthy press release listing some of the anti-corruption efforts it has taken in the last one and half years.
The prime minister’s office, in a release here, said the group of ministers (GoM) it had set up in January last year to suggest measure to tackle corruption had submitted two reports. In pursuance of these, the government had directed that requests for sanction of prosecution of officials are to be decided upon by the competent authority within three months.
The GoM had submitted its first report to the prime minister in September last year.
The release also said that the government decided that for all officers of the central government above the joint secretary rank, the respective ministers in charge of departments will be the competent authority to approve initiation of probes under the relevant laws.
It also said that it has accepted the recommendation of the GoM to put in place regulatory parameters for exercise of discretionary powers by ministers and to put up those regulations in the public domain.
The PMO also listed the Lokpal Bill that has been passed by the Lok Sabha and which is pending in the Rajya Sabha since the last winter session too as one of its anti-corruption initiative.
Hazare and his team of activists have trashed the government-drafted Lokpal bill and have asked the government to pass the Jan Lokpal bill drafted by it instead.
- PMO attempts to blunt Anna's protest campaign (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Amendments to Lokpal bill being considered, says Narayanasamy - Feb 11, 2012
- Show courage on Lokpal bill, Hazare urges PM - Jan 22, 2012
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Comparative version of Lokpal bill is one-sided, says Bhushan - Jun 27, 2011
- Hazare rejects Pawar's offer to quit from Lokpal Bill GoM - Apr 06, 2011
- Pawar gives into Hazare's demand, quits GoM on corruption - Apr 06, 2011
- Parliament to decide Lokpal bill's final shape: Pranab - Dec 26, 2011
- Deadlock between Team Hazare, government continues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Anna Hazare's crusade must be supported: Ananth Kumar - Apr 05, 2011
- Government committed to passing Lokpal bill soon: Narayanasamy - Jul 17, 2012
- BJP accepts Jan Lokpal bill: Gadkari writes to Anna - Aug 25, 2011
- Show courage for strong Lokpal bill: Hazare to PM (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Anna Hazare describes his fast, a second 'freedom struggle' - Apr 07, 2011
- Aug 15 deadline for Lokpal possible if all cooperate: Moily - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: activists, anna hazare, central government, competent authority, corruption, discretionary powers, half years, initiation, last winter, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, prime minister, probes, prosecution, public domain, rajya sabha, relevant laws, sanction, ultimatum, winter session