PMK advocates total prohibition in IndiaApril 19th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) The PMK, a member of the Indian government, Saturday demanded total prohibition in the country and said even Congress president Sonia Gandhi was all for it. PMK leader S. Ramadoss told reporters here that he and his party colleagues made the demand about prohibition when they called on Gandhi here Friday.
“She volunteered to say that prohibition is in sync with Gandhian values and she appreciated our concern,” Ramadoss said. “She is very much interested in implementing prohibition.”
“(Gandhi) told us that the Congress strictly advised new entrants to the party against drinking.”
Ramadoss cited the “massive campaign” the PMK had launched in Tamil Nadu in support of prohibition.
Asked about the proposal of the civil aviation ministry to introduce wines and beers on domestic flights, he said: “Let it happen, we will protest when it does.”
Ramadoss, who also met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh separately, said he had urged both leaders to initiate measures to remove the concept of creamy layer in the reservation policy for other backward classes (OBCs).
“It is unconstitutional and wrong to implement the reservation policy on the basis of economic status, which the creamy layer suggests it is,” he said.
Ramadoss said the constitution was clear that reservation should be based on social and educational considerations.
He said the prime minister agreed with “our concerns and assured (us) that all parties would be taken into confidence” on the issue of creamy layer.
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
- Yet to decide on joining DMK-led front: PMK - Jan 31, 2011
- Congress against PMK in DMK alliance - Feb 04, 2011
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Government mulling quota for Muslims within OBCs: Salman Khurshid (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections - Feb 18, 2011
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- Congress attacks Mayawati over Muslim quota - Dec 19, 2011
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
- Ahead of assembly polls, minorities given 4.5 percent quota in jobs (Fourth Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Congress' committee to discuss seat sharing: Karunanidhi (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: beers, civil aviation ministry, congress president sonia gandhi, domestic flights, economic status, educational considerations, gandhian values, indian government, manmohan, manmohan singh, massive campaign, New Delhi, party colleagues, pmk, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prohibition, ramadoss, reservation policy, wines