PM to open chief ministers’ meet on security April 16April 14th, 2012 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) Police reforms, upgrading intelligence gathering system and strengthening the counter-terrorism mechanism in the country will top the agenda of the annual chief ministers’ conference to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday.
Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram will address the day-long Conference of Chief Ministers which will review the internal security situation in the country, said an official statement Saturday.
Though this is being branded as the annual meeting of the chief ministers on the internal security situation, there are bound to be references to the controversial proposal of setting up a National Counter Terrorism Centre in the country.
United Progressive Alliance partner Trinamool Congress, headed by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, is one of the most vocal opponents of the proposal which has miffed several opposition ruled states including Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Odisha.
They say the proposed anti-terror intelligence hub is an attack on federalism.
However, Chidambaram would hold a stand-alone meeting on the NCTC with the chief ministers May 5.
According to officials, police reforms and capacity-building with focus on ongoing and new initiatives will be high on the agenda of the meeting.
Other issues to be deliberated upon include strengthening of counter-terrorism capabilities and intelligence apparatus, Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS), issues related to Left Wing Extremism, border management, coastal security and Centre-State relations.
- CMs to discuss internal security in backdrop of Maoist abductions - Apr 15, 2012
- Manik Sarkar to attend chief ministers' meet - Apr 15, 2012
- India to discuss security challenges with state governments - Apr 13, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to address chief ministers on internal security - Jan 31, 2011
- Hard decisions will have to be taken: Chidambaram on NCTC - May 06, 2012
- Chief ministers to meet on NCTC - Mar 16, 2012
- Jayalalithaa attacks home ministry per se (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Crucial NCTC meet begins in Delhi - May 05, 2012
- NCTC isn't state versus centre issue: PM - May 05, 2012
- PM writes to chief ministers on anti-terror hub - Feb 21, 2012
- Want exclusive discussion on NCTC: Mamata - Mar 29, 2012
- Manmohan fails to woo dissenting CMs on NCTC (Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- Centre fails to convince dissenting CMs on NCTC (Intro Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- Jayalalithaa opposes BSF Act amendment - Apr 20, 2012
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,