PM, Sonia visit ailing Surjeet (Lead)May 18th, 2008 - 8:03 pm ICT by admin
Noida, May 18 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi Sunday called on ailing Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Harkishan Singh Surjeet, whose condition remains “very critical”. Manmohan Singh came to the Metro Hospital here on the outskirts of Delhi and spent about 10 minutes around noon. Gandhi came in the evening.
Both saw the 92-year-old veteran Marxist at the Intensive Cardiac Care Unit where he was admitted May 6 following cardiac arrest.
Since then, he has been put on ventilation. But Surjeet has not regained consciousness.
“His condition is very critical but stable. He is on ventilation. His vital organs are stable. Even the heart is working,” hospital director and chief cardiac surgeon Purushottam Lal told IANS.
Lal said it was too early to say if Surjeet would recover. “We expect his condition to improve… We are trying our level best.”
But another doctor who did not want to be identified said: “The chances of Surjeet’s survival are very minimal.”
“Sonia Gandhi spent a few quiet minutes,” a hospital source said, speaking to doctors and Surjeet’s party colleagues.
Surjeet, a former general secretary of the party, had been virtually confined to his Teen Murti Lane residence in New Delhi for over a year due to ill health.
CPI-M leaders including general secretary Prakash Karat, who succeeded Surjeet in 2005, and politburo members Sitaram Yechury, Brinda Karat and M.K. Pandhe also visited the hospital Sunday.
- CPI-M politburo member M.K. Pandhe dead - Aug 20, 2011
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Intro Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Jyoti Basu stable, still on ventilator support - Jan 07, 2010
- PM visits hospital to see ailing Surjeet - May 18, 2008
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Basu's ventilation support reduced, 'anxious' PM visits (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2010
- Congress should answer why allies named Manmohan: Left - Jun 14, 2012
- CPI-M makes light of Gujral's remark in book - Feb 23, 2011
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- CPI-M meet on president poll Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Who's who of Indian politics visit Jyoti Basu - Jan 07, 2010
- Battered baby critical, woman claims to be relative (Third Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Jyoti Basu remains 'extremely critical', Bachchan visits (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu slightly better but critical, responding to calls (Lead) - Jan 10, 2010
- Another Jesus row hits CPI-M - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: brinda karat, cardiac arrest, cardiac care unit, cardiac surgeon, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president sonia gandhi, hospital director, hospital source, ill health, manmohan, manmohan singh, old veteran, party colleagues, politburo, prakash karat, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sonia visit, vital organs