PM, Sonia congratulate PranabJuly 22nd, 2012 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi Sunday congratulated Pranab Mukherjee on his election as India’s 13th president.
Manmohan Singh came to Mukherjee’s 13 Talkatora Road residence here to convey his congratulations after heemerged a clear winner in the presidential poll against opposition-backed P.A. Sangma.
The prime minister was accompanied by his wife Gursharan Kaur.
Sonia Gandhi and her son and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi also reached Pranab’s residence to congratulate him.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar also reached there to to congratulate Mukherjee.
Mukherjee,76, who was most recently finance minister, is one of India’s most experienced politicians. He was widely considered the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government’s most trusted and able strategists.
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab is India's next president, Sangma bruised (Intro Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab heads for Rashtrapati Bhavan, Sangma bruised (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- Jubiliant Congress workers celebrate Mukherjee's victory (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Indian lawmakers vote to elect new president (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is UPA's man for president (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- 'Relaxed' Pranab awaiting presidential results - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Chronology of events to Pranab being named UPA's president candidate - Jun 15, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Who will be next president? Many names but could be another dark horse (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Advantage Pranab as lawmakers vote to elect new president (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sam Pitroda to Hamid Ansari - who will be India's next president? - Apr 20, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 13th president, congress president sonia gandhi, finance minister, general secretary, kaur, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, meira kumar, New Delhi, opposition, politicians, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, strategists, UPA