PM, Sonia congratulate Mamata on ‘historic’ winMay 17th, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 17 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi have congratulated Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee for her “historic” victory over West Bengal’s ruling Left Front in the Lok Sabha polls.
“The prime minister rang me up yesterday (Saturday). He congratulated me. He said the victory in this state was historic,” Banerjee told reporters here.
She said Congress chief Sonia Gandhi also called up to congratulate her.
“She (Sonia) said she was grateful for our support,” Banerjee said.
Reiterating that her party will support the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, Banerjee said: “We will work together.”
The Trinamool chief said she was happy the UPA government was not taking support from the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M). “Please note that I am naming the CPI-M and not other Left parties.”
Banerjee said the Trinamool parliamentary party will meet Monday and pass a formal resolution supporting the UPA government.
The Trinamool Congress and the Congress that fought the polls in West Bengal in alliance between them won 26 of the state’s 42 seats. Of these, the Trinamool Congress claimed 19 seats and the Congress seven.
- Left rout 'historic verdict', says Mamata (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Congress officially extends support to Trinamool - May 15, 2011
- Pranab, Mamata appeal for peace - May 15, 2011
- CPI-M trying to create rift between Congress, Trinamool: Mamata - Jun 30, 2012
- Trinamool stakes claim, Mamata elected legislature party leader (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- Let Congress decide on alliance: Mamata - Nov 19, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- UPA wobbles, Mamata says Congress colluding with Left (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2012
- I have invited Congress to join government: Mamata - May 16, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Intellectuals close to Trinamool congratulate Mamata - May 14, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Trinamool shielding scamsters: BJP - Nov 30, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Would desperate Mamata be able to save face in another battle? (West Bengal newsletter) - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president sonia gandhi, CPI, formal resolution, left parties, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, parliamentary party, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, victory, west bengal