PM, Pranab call up Chidambaram on 2G noteSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who are away in the US, called up P. Chidambaram over the latest controversy in the 2G spectrum scam and the home minister assured both that he will not speak on the issue till their return.
Chidambaram made the assurance when the two senior leaders of the government made a phone call to him Wednesday night.
“Friends from the media have asked me why I remain silent. The prime minister called me last night from Frankfurt and spoke to me. The finance minister called me from Washington and spoke to me,” Chidambaram said in a statement here Thursday.
“I have assured the prime minister that I shall not make any public statement on the subject until he returns to India,” he added.
Government sources, meanwhile, said that during the phone call Wednesday, the prime minister informed Chidambaram that he had not seen the finance ministry note mentioning his role in the 2G spectrum allocation.
During the call that lasted for 20 minutes, the prime minister conveyed his complete faith on Chidambaram’s integrity and asked him to remain patient till his return to India Sep 27, sources said.
Chidambaram was the finance minister in the United Progressive Alliance-I government when the 2G spectrum allocation was done.
The finance ministry note to the PMO says Chidambaram could have prevented the spectrum from being given away at throwaway prices by insisting on its auction — implying that presumptive losses worth thousands of crores could have thus been avoided.
- 2G scam: Opposition wants Chidambaram out, Congress backs him (Intro Roundup) - Sep 23, 2011
- Bansal, Narayanswamy meet Pranab on 2G issue - Sep 29, 2011
- 2G controversy: Pranab to meet PM Sunday - Sep 24, 2011
- Khurshid, Narayanswamy meet Pranab on 2G issue - Sep 27, 2011
- Finance ministry note not a big issue, says Khurshid - Sep 26, 2011
- No differences in cabinet, says Antony - Sep 27, 2011
- Opposition's sack Chidambaram chorus rises - Sep 23, 2011
- Prime Minister to meet ministers on 2G note - Sep 29, 2011
- BJP says 'culpability' of Chidambaram evident in 2G - Sep 23, 2011
- Congress defends Chidambaram, BJP wants his ouster (Roundup) - Sep 24, 2011
- Congress, government defend Chidambaram on 2G scam (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
- Sonia seeks to quell 2G controversy; meets Chidambaram, Pranab - Sep 26, 2011
- Digvijay Singh backs Chidambaram on 2G scam charge - Sep 24, 2011
- Congress defends Chidambaram on 2G scam - Sep 22, 2011
- 2G issue: I defend all my ministers, says PM (Lead) - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: finance minister, finance ministry, government sources, home minister, latest controversy, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, night friends, p chidambaram, pmo, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, return to india, spectrum allocation, throwaway prices, wednesday night, worth thousands