PM praises Somnath Chatterjee’s ‘inspirational leadership’August 11th, 2008 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday singled out Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee for fulsome praise, saying his “inspirational leadership” had won him the admiration of the entire nation. “The entire country has come to look up to him for balance and fair play in the functioning of our Lok Sabha,” the prime minister said in his opening remarks at the inaugural Prof. Hiren Mukherjee Memorial Lecture by Nobel laureate Amartya Sen here.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist had expelled Chatterjee for refusing to step down as speaker ahead of the July 22 trust vote in parliament, which was won by the Manmohan Singh government.
Chatterjee had steadfastly refused to give in to the CPI-M demand, saying the office of the speaker was above party politics.
“We are also privileged that this lecture is being delivered in the presence of a true inheritor of the legacy of Hiren Mukherjee, our distinguished Speaker, Shri Somnath Chatterjee. This evening, therefore, is a truly remarkable one,” the prime minister maintained.
“He (Chatterjee) is, as I have said, a true inheritor of the legacy of Comrade Hiren Mukherjee,” the prime minister said at the conclusion of his speech.
“I thank Somnath Chatterjee for having honoured us all by inviting Professor Amartya Sen to address us in this historic Central Hall of our Parliament on a theme of great contemporary relevance,” Manmohan Singh added.
- Bhutanese PM to speak in India on gross national happiness - Dec 13, 2011
- Jagdish Bhagwati to deliver Hiren Mukherjee Lecture - Nov 25, 2010
- Bhagwati to speak on Indian economy, reforms - Dec 01, 2010
- Muhammad Yunus to deliver Lok Sabha memorial lecture - Dec 08, 2009
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool - Jun 13, 2012
- Micro-credit programmes beat global meltdown: Muhammad Yunus - Dec 09, 2009
- UPA will shortly decide on presidential candidate: Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- Advani, Jayalalithaa to 'coordinate' on presidential polls (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker - Jun 02, 2011
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pranab most suitable for president's post: Trinamool MP - Jun 20, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Soni (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Congress for consensus over confrontation on presidential poll - Jun 14, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: admiration, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, comrade, CPI, fair play, hiren, inheritor, inspirational leadership, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, memorial lecture, nobel laureate amartya, opening remarks, party politics, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, somnath chatterjee, trust vote