PM makes steady progress, had breakfast with family (Second Lead)January 27th, 2009 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 27 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has been making steady progress after Saturday’s beating heart bypass surgery and took a walk in his hospital room Tuesday, officials said here.Manmohan Singh, 76, has started taking regular meals and was being weaned off ICU (intensive care unit) care, they said.
“The prime minister is steadily making progress in his post-operative period. He walked around in his room today and his diet now includes regular meals,” Prime Minister’s Media Advisor Deepak Sandhu told IANS.
Manmohan Singh underwent multiple bypass surgery at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Saturday to remove five arterial blockages and has been recuperating in the ICU there.
His wife Gursharan Kaur and daughters Upinder, Damandeep and Amrit have been camping in the hospital.
“The prime minister had breakfast with his wife and three daughters in the hospital,” Sandhu said.
She said a team of cardiac, rehabilitation and physiotherapy experts at the hospital were taking care of the prime minister.
The doctors were weaning him off the ICU care and “he would receive routine care from Wednesday,” Sandhu added.
According to the prime minister’s personal physician K.S. Reddy, Manmohan Singh was put on a regular diet Tuesday. “The prime minister is doing well and has been put on a regular diet from Tuesday,” Reddy told IANS.
Reddy said the prime minister was currently in “an ICU cum VIP room”. “A decision to shift the prime minister into another room will be taken soon,” he added.
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi wished Manmohan Singh a speedy recovery.
“I, on behalf of every Indian, wish him speedy recovery and hope he resumes work soon,” Gandhi said at a function after inaugurating a rail coach factory in Rae Bareli, her constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
Gandhi told the gathering that the prime minister, whom she visited Monday, was recovering fast.
Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Ghulam Nabi Azad also met the prime minister Tuesday.
- PM has breakfast with family at AIIMS (Lead) - Jan 27, 2009
- Get well soon, Gilani wishes Sonia Gandhi - Mar 06, 2012
- Assam chief minister recovering after heart surgery (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Prime Minister Dr. Singh recovering well - Jan 27, 2009
- PM moving about freely, talks to aides (Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- PM doing well, put on a regular diet - Jan 27, 2009
- PM shifted out of ICU, talks to aides (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- Mamata wishes Sonia speedy recovery - Aug 08, 2011
- President Patil visits PM Manmohan Singh at AIIMS - Jan 28, 2009
- Complicated heart surgeries performed successfully on Gogoi (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- PM recuperating steadily, may be discharged this weekend - Jan 28, 2009
- Prime Minister shifted out of Intensive Care Unit at AIIMS - Jan 28, 2009
- Vajpayee's condition serious; PM, Sonia wish him speedy recovery (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2009
- Gogoi to undergo two heart surgeries Wednesday - Aug 03, 2010
- Complicated heart surgery on Gogoi in Mumbai - Aug 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,