PM greets South Sudan, world’s newest nationJuly 9th, 2011 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday greeted the people and the government of South Sudan on the occasion of the declaration of the country’s independence.
“On behalf of the people and the government of India, I convey my warmest felicitations and greetings to the people and government of South Sudan on this momentous and happy occasion. It marks the successful conclusion of important landmarks spelt out in the Comprehensive Peace Agreement of 2005, including in particular the peaceful conduct of the referendum,” Manmohan Singh said in a letter to President Salva Kiir Mayardit of South Sudan.
South Sudan became the 193rd country in the world after a referendum in Sudan granted it independence and a peace agreement brought the civil war to an end. Vice President Hamid Ansari represented India at South Sudan’s inaugural in the capital city Juba.
The celebrations of independence of South Sudan are being held July 9.
The prime minister said India stands ready to share its development experience and extend whatever assistance possible to South Sudan.
“I am confident that our cooperation will grow from strength to strength in the coming days for the mutual benefit of our two peoples,” he said.
Manmohan Singh conveyed India’s best wishes to the people of South Sudan on their new journey of nation building and development and greater peace and prosperity in the region.
“We applaud your commitment to addressing all outstanding issues with north Sudan in an amicable and peaceful manner,” the prime minister said.
- South Sudan celebrates independence (Third Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- South Sudan becomes world's newest nation (Second Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jul 09, 2011
- South Sudan to become world's newest nation July 9 - Jul 02, 2011
- Russia - S. Sudan cooperation vital for Africa : Medvedev - Jul 10, 2011
- Ansari on three-day visit to South Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- Ansari to attend 'birthday' of South Sudan - Jul 06, 2011
- Amid China foray, India to invite South Sudan president - Jun 03, 2012
- Voting begins in Southern Sudan to decide on nation's future - Jan 09, 2011
- India's $3 bn oil stake in South Sudan now looks safe - Aug 04, 2012
- Manmohan Singh keeps up hectic diplomacy at UN - Sep 24, 2011
- World's newest country beckons Indians to shine (Letter from Juba) - Mar 18, 2012
- World's newest country beckons Indians to shine (Letter from Juba) (With Images) - Mar 18, 2012
- UN's Ban commends Sudan and South Sudan on political progress - Mar 17, 2012
- AU presses Sudan, South Sudan to seal deal by Aug 2 - Jul 15, 2012
- South Sudan becomes world's newest country (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: best wishes, development experience, felicitations, government of india, manmohan, manmohan singh, mutual benefit, nation building, New Delhi, new journey, peace agreement, peaceful conduct, peaceful manner, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prosperity, referendum, south sudan, strength to strength, two peoples