PM constitutes council for Identification AuthorityAugust 3rd, 2009 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday constituted a council under his chairmanship to advice the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and ensure better coordination between ministries, stakeholders and partners.
“The council is expected to advice the UIDAI on the programme, methodology and implementation to ensure coordination between ministries, departments, stakeholders and partners,” said a release from the Prime Minister’s Office.
It will also identify specific milestones for early completion of the project.
Nandan Nilekani, the 54-year-old co-founder of Infosys Technologies, took charge as the chairman of the UIDAI last month and started work on the government’s ambitious project to provide a single identity number and card to each of the country’s 1.17 billion people.
The main task of the authority would be to create a database that will help in issuing unique identity cards.
Members of the newly appointed council are Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Agriculture, Food and Civil Supplies Minister Sharad Pawar, Home Minister P. Chidambaram, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna, Law and Justice Minister M. Veerappa Moily, Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, Rural Development & Panchayati Raj Minister C.P. Joshi, Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge, Communications and Information Technology Minister A. Raja, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, and UIDAI chairman Nandan Nilekani.
The main purpose of this ambitious project would avert the need for multiple proofs of identity for citizens while availing any government service, or for private needs like opening bank accounts or seeking telephone connections.
It is also expected to enhance national security by helping to identify illegal aliens.
Nilekani was personally selected by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to head the project with the rank of a cabinet minister.
- Top ministers in council to assist Identification Authority (Lead) - Aug 03, 2009
- Manmohan Singh constitutes UIDAI Council - Aug 03, 2009
- Unique Identification Authority advisory council meets in New Delhi - Aug 12, 2009
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row - Jan 27, 2012
- I-cards will enable poor access services: PM - Aug 12, 2009
- Chidambaram gives out smart ID cards in Andamans - Jan 22, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi launch UID project in Maharashtra village - Sep 29, 2010
- Cabinet to resolve Montek-Chidambaram row over UIDAI - Jan 20, 2012
- UID to benefit common people: Manmohan (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Unique ID project set to meet target: Nilekani - Jun 17, 2011
- Prime Minister chairs first meeting of UIDAI Council - Aug 12, 2009
- Data collection method of unique ID authority finalised (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Maharashtra villager gets first unique number card - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: agriculture food, ambitious project, civil supplies minister, development minister, employment minister, external affairs minister, home minister, human resource development, illegal aliens, information technology minister, infosys technologies, kapil sibal, manmohan singh, montek singh ahluwalia, nandan nilekani, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sharad pawar