PM condoles Dhar’s deathJuly 20th, 2012 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday condoled the death of economist P.N. Dhar, calling him “a public servant of the highest pedigree who embodied the finest values and principles of public service.”
In a message Thursday evening, the prime minister said he was “deeply grieved” to hear of the sad passing away of Dhar, one of India’s most distinguished public servants.
“Dhar was a well-known economist in his own right and was one of the founders of the Delhi School of Economics,” the PM said.
“He was a close adviser of (former prime minister) Indira Gandhi and served as her principal secretary in the 1970s during a difficult period of our history,” he said, recognising his role in the 1972 Simla Agreement with Pakistan soon after India won a massive war victory in late 1971.
Noting that he had “a long personal association” with Dhar, the prime minister, himself a renowned economist, said he gained immensely from the interactions and insights on policy making and governance.
“I will remember him as a public servant of the highest pedigree who embodied the finest values and principles of public service,” Manmohan Singh said.
“I deeply mourn the sad demise of Dhar and convey my deepest condolences to his family and well wishers and admirers,” he added.
- Indira Gandhi confidante P.N. Dhar dead - Jul 19, 2012
- PM condoles death of Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2011
- PM condoles Arjun Singh's death - Mar 05, 2011
- PM condoles Arjun Singh's death - Mar 04, 2011
- PM condoles passing away of Sri Satya Saibaba - Apr 24, 2011
- National leaders condole Dara Singh's death (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- The Simla accord -- 40 years later - Jul 01, 2012
- PM expresses shock over US gurudwara killing - Aug 06, 2012
- PM condoles passing away of civil rights campaigner S.R. Sankaran - Oct 09, 2010
- PM remembers Salve as distinguished leader - Apr 02, 2012
- Prime Minister, Vice President condoles passing away of former Speaker Bali Ram Bhagat - Jan 02, 2011
- Vice President, PM condole Lakshmi Sehgal's death - Jul 23, 2012
- PM condoles demise of K. Subrahmanyam - Feb 02, 2011
- PM condoles educationist Amrik Singh's death - Mar 24, 2010
- Goa governor, chief minister condole Deshmukh's death - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: deepest condolences, delhi school of economics, dhar, difficult period, former prime minister, indira gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, massive war, personal association, prime minister indira, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, principal secretary, public servant, public servants, renowned economist, sad demise, simla agreement, well wishers