PM condoles death of Ram Niwas MirdhaJanuary 29th, 2010 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 29 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday condoled the death of senior Congress leader Ram Niwas Mirdha, describing him as an experienced political leader who made rich contributions in different areas of public life.
“Mirdha was one of the senior most leaders of the Congress party. In a political career spanning nearly six decades, he served both his home state of Rajasthan as well as the country with great distinction,” said the prime minister in a condolence message to Mirdha’s son, Harender Mirdha.
“He spearheaded various international parliamentary exchanges. Mirdha was also a man of letters and he served for two terms as chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi. He was chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi at the time of his passing away.”
“In Mirdha’s demise, the country has lost an able and experienced political leader who made rich contributions in different areas of public life.”
Mirdha, 87, who also served as Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, held key ministerial portfolios including external affairs and communication. He died here Friday following multiple organ failure after being admitted to the Ganga Ram Hospital Jan 21.
Mirdha is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
- PM condoles Arjun Singh's death - Mar 05, 2011
- PM remembers Salve as distinguished leader - Apr 02, 2012
- Rich tributes to Tagore on 71st death anniversary - Aug 08, 2011
- Odissi dance guru Gangadhar Pradhan dead - Oct 11, 2010
- Ustad Bismillah Khan 2008 youth award to be presented on Thursday - Sep 08, 2009
- Arts, sports bring best of India to Delhi's culture street - Oct 11, 2010
- PM condoles Arjun Singh's death - Mar 04, 2011
- Theatre is passion driven: Juhi Babbar after getting national honour - Aug 11, 2010
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Veteran Congress leader Bali Ram Bhagat is dead, PM saddened (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- PM condoles Bali Ram Bhagat's death - Jan 02, 2011
- No need to be defensive on CAG report, Sonia tells party MPs (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- CWC condoles Arjun Singh's demise, describes him a symbol of secular values - Mar 05, 2011
- President nominates Mani Shankar Aiyar, four others to Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: condolence message, congress leader, congress party, deputy chairman, external affairs, ganga ram hospital, man of letters, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministerial portfolios, organ failure, political career, political leader, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, ram niwas, rich contributions, sangeet natak akademi, state of rajasthan