PM condoles death of economist Raja ChelliahApril 8th, 2009 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday condoled the death of his “valued colleague and very close friend”, noted economist Raja Chelliah.
In his message to the economist’s wife, the prime minister said: “It is with deep grief that I learnt of the sad demise of your husband, Prof. Raja Chelliah. Your husband’s passing away is a great personal loss to me. He was not only a valued colleague but also a very close friend.”
“Prof. Raja was a brilliant economist and an exceptional human being. His contribution to the understanding of economic policy issues in India is immense,” Manmohan Singh added.
“In this hour of bereavement, please accept my heartfelt condolences. May God give you the strength to bear with your loss. I offer my deepest prayers for peace of the departed soul.”
Chelliah died in Chennai Tuesday afternoon in a private hospital. He was 86.
- PM mourns death of noted economist - Jun 21, 2011
- PM condoles educationist Amrik Singh's death - Mar 24, 2010
- President, PM condole Homi Sethna's death (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- PM condoles Homi Sethna's death - Sep 07, 2010
- PM condoles Dhar's death - Jul 20, 2012
- PM condoles Bali Ram Bhagat's death - Jan 02, 2011
- President, Prime Minister condole passing away of Dr. Homi Sethna - Sep 07, 2010
- National leaders condole Dara Singh's death (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- PM condoles deaths in Myanmar quake, offers help - Mar 26, 2011
- Manmohan Singh condoles loss of lives in Myanmar earthquake - Mar 26, 2011
- PM expresses shock over US gurudwara killing - Aug 06, 2012
- Educationist Amrik Singh cremated, PM mourns his death (Lead) - Mar 24, 2010
- PM condoles death of CPI leader's mother - Jan 15, 2011
- PM condoles demise of CPI leader D. Raja's mother - Jan 14, 2011
- Manmohan Singh condoles death of former Kerala CM Karunakaran - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: bereavement, colleague, departed soul, economic policy issues, economist, god, grief, heartfelt condolences, India, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, personal loss, prayers for peace, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private hospital, sad demise, tuesday afternoon