PM condoles Arjun Singh’s deathMarch 4th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday condoled the death of veteran Congress leader Arjun Singh, saying he had left a strong imprint on the political life of the nation and was a leader with deep ties to the people.
In his message to Arjun Singh’s wife Saroj Kumari, Manmohan Singh described the departed leader as “one of the seniormost leaders in our political life”.
“In his passing away the country has lost a veteran leader who left a strong imprint on our political life,” he said.
“I was deeply grieved to hear of the sad demise of Arjun Singh. Arjun Singh was one of the senior most leaders in our political life,” he added.
Tracing Arjun Singh’s political career, the prime minister said he became a member of the Madhya Pradesh legislative assembly and served the state in many capacities.
He rose to become the state chief minister first from 1980-85 and then in 1988-89. Arjun Singh had a distinguished career in parliament and was a sitting member of the Rajya Sabha at the time of his passing away.
He held a number of sensitive and important assignments during his career, notably holding the office of the human resource development minister in the government for eight years.
“Arjun Singh will be remembered for his deep concern for the welfare of the disadvantaged sections and for promoting the cause of equality and social justice in the country. He was an able administrator, experienced legislator and a leader who had strong ties to the people,” the prime minister said.
“I convey my deepest condolences to you, all members of the family and Arjun Singh’s many friends, well wishers and followers. I pray for the repose of the departed soul,” he added.
- PM condoles Arjun Singh's death - Mar 05, 2011
- PM condoles Kerala governor Farook's death - Jan 27, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee condoles demise of Arjun Singh - Mar 04, 2011
- CWC condoles Arjun Singh's demise, describes him a symbol of secular values - Mar 05, 2011
- Beni Prasad Verma condoles passing away of Arjun Singh - Mar 04, 2011
- Arjun Singh's last rites to be held today - Mar 05, 2011
- PM condoles Deshmukh's death, calls him trusted colleague (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- National leaders condole Dara Singh's death (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- PM remembers Salve as distinguished leader - Apr 02, 2012
- PM, Sonia pay tribute to Arjun Singh - Mar 05, 2011
- PM, Sonia visit Arjun Singh home (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Veteran Congress leader Arjun Singh is dead (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Manmohan Singh condoles death of former Kerala CM Karunakaran - Dec 23, 2010
- Vice President Ansari condoles Congress leader Arjun Singh's demise - Mar 05, 2011
- President, PM condole death of Dorjee Khandu (Lead) - May 05, 2011
Tags: arjun singh, chief minister, congress leader, deepest condolences, departed soul, development minister, disadvantaged sections, human resource development, kumari, legislative assembly, madhya pradesh, manmohan, manmohan singh, members of the family, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, sad demise, state chief, veteran leader