PM asked to tell Kerala to halt irrigation schemeJune 21st, 2012 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 21 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Thursday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to tell the Kerala government not to proceed with its Attapadi Irrigation Scheme.
The scheme, she said, violates the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal’s final orders.
The chief minister also advised the Central Water Commission not to give technical clearance to Kerala to build a dam across the Siruvani river.
Asking Manmohan Singh to protect Tamil Nadu’s interests, Jayalalithaa said in a letter: “It appears that Kerala has planned to build a dam of 4.5 TMC (thousand million cubic feet) capacity on Siruvani for the Attapadi Irrigation Scheme.
“This has caused concern among the people of Tamil Nadu as the inflows into the river Bhavani would be considerably reduced if Kerala goes (ahead) with its plan.”
- Centre ignoring livelihood issues: Jayalalithaa - Jul 24, 2012
- Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: Jayalalithaa - May 19, 2012
- Will move apex court again on Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Sep 19, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- Jayalalithaa renews call for Cauvery River Authority meet - Aug 23, 2012
- Cauvery award: Both Tamil Nadu, Karnataka unhappy (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- Appoint chairman for Cauvery panel: Jayalalithaa - Apr 20, 2012
- 'Advise Karnataka to stop construction of check dams' - May 20, 2012
- Cauvery River Authority to meet Wednesday after 9 years - Sep 18, 2012
- Cauvery river panel meets on Tamil Nadu's call - Sep 19, 2012
- Dam row: Chandy in Delhi Thursday, likely to meet PM - Dec 01, 2011
- Chandy slams Jayalalithaa's varying stands on public safety - Nov 30, 2011
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Chandy, AIADMK MPs meet PM - Dec 02, 2011
- Karnataka asks PM to rescind Cauvery water decision - Sep 21, 2012
- Resolve Cauvery water dispute, SC tells PMO (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: bhavani, cauvery water disputes tribunal, central water, chief minister, cubic feet, irrigation scheme, j jayalalithaa, june 21, kerala government, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, water commission, water disputes