PM arrives in Amritsar; to pray at Golden Temple Sunday (Lead)December 31st, 2011 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Dec 31 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived in this Sikh holy city Saturday evening and will be offering prayers at the Harmandar Sahib, the holiest of Sikh shrines, popularly known as the Golden Temple, here early Sunday morning.
Accompanied by his wife Gursharan Kaur, the prime minister landed at the Guru Ram Das International Airport at Rajasansi near here amid tight security measures for his visit in and around this city.
With his government having faced a tough year, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wants to usher in the New Year with prayers at the shrine.
The visit is being termed as a “private one”, a police officer said here.
“He will stay at the Circuit House overnight. Additional security personnel have been requisitioned from neighbouring districts to have foolproof security in place. SPG (Special Protection Group that protects the prime minister) officials are camping here already to ensure all security measures are in place,” the officer said, speaking only on condition of anonymity.
Amritsar Deputy Commissioner Rajat Aggarwal said the prime minister would visit the Golden Temple complex early Sunday. He will fly back to Delhi Sunday afternoon.
Amritsar city has been shivering a sub-zero temperatures the past one week with the minimum temperature Friday morning recorded at minus 2.1 degrees - the lowest temperature of this winter season.
The prime minister, who lived and studied in this city after his family migrated here from Rawalpindi after partition, also has some relatives who are settled here.
A devout Sikh, the prime minister last visited the shrine in March 2009, just a few weeks after his coronary bypass surgery at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi.
- PM to begin New Year with prayers at Golden Temple - Dec 31, 2011
- PM begins new year with prayers at Golden Temple (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM begins New Year with prayers, showed black flags in Amritsar (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM shown black flags by Anna supporters outside Golden Temple - Jan 01, 2012
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- Obama to visit Golden Temple, college in Amritsar - Oct 15, 2010
- PM prays at Golden Temple, faces black flags (Third Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Obama's Golden Temple visit: Punjab seeks PM's help (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Message to the nation from PM today (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Obama's Golden Temple visit: Punjab seeks PM's help - Oct 23, 2010
- 'Headgear issue will be sorted out for Obama's Golden Temple visit' - Oct 19, 2010
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Black flags to PM not at our behest: Team Anna - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, amritsar city, coronary bypass surgery, deputy commissioner, foolproof security, golden temple, india institute, manmohan, manmohan singh, minimum temperature, neighbouring districts, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajat, rawalpindi, sikh shrines, special protection group, tight security measures, zero temperatures