PM arrives in Amritsar on personal visit (Lead, Changing Dateline)March 23rd, 2009 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, March 23 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived in this Sikh holy city Monday evening on a two-day private visit during which he will pray at the Golden Temple.
The prime minister and his wife Gursharan Kaur will also go to the Hindu Durgiana temple, close to the Golden Temple, officials said.
Manmohan Singh was received at the Rajasansi airport near here by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Bharatiya Janata Party’s Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and Congress leaders Mohinder Singh Kaypee and O.P. Soni.
This is Manmohan Singh’s first trip outside New Delhi after he underwent coronary bypass surgery Jan 24. He has been active during the last two weeks and has met visiting dignitaries besides attending to office work.
Amritsar district police chief Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh confirmed the prime minister’s arrival. He said the visit was “purely personal”.
The prime minister is likely to meet some of his relatives at the Circuit House where he is staying. “We will be meeting him,” said the prime minister’s step-brother Surjit Singh Kohli, a businessman.
The prime minister will leave for New Delhi Tuesday morning. He is set to attend the G20 summit in London early next month.
- PM arrives in Amritsar; to pray at Golden Temple Sunday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- PM to begin New Year with prayers at Golden Temple - Dec 31, 2011
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Punjab to seek PM's help in water dispute - Jun 26, 2010
- PM begins new year with prayers at Golden Temple (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM begins New Year with prayers, showed black flags in Amritsar (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM prays at Golden Temple, faces black flags (Third Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
- Black flags should be shown to BJP: Congress - Jan 01, 2012
- Badal to consult Mumbai lawyers on water royalty issue - Jul 02, 2010
- Black flags to PM not at our behest: Team Anna - Jan 01, 2012
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- Record 21 chief parliamentary secretaries in Punjab - Apr 06, 2012
- Prime Minister's birthday marked with prayers, sweets distribution in Amritsar - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: amritsar, badal, bharatiya janata party, congress leaders, coronary bypass surgery, district police, g20 summit, golden temple, kunwar, manmohan, manmohan singh, navjot singh sidhu, personal visit, pratap singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private visit, singh kohli, step brother, tuesday morning