PM announces Rs.1 lakh for kin of Leh cloudburst victims (Lead)August 6th, 2010 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday condoled the deaths caused by the cloudburst in Leh town of Jammu and Kashmir and announced a compensation of Rs.1 lakh for the families of each of those dead.
“The prime minister has sanctioned an ex-gratia of Rs.1 lakh each from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund to the next of kin of the person deceased and Rs.50,000 to those seriously injured,” said the press release issued by the Prime Minster’s Office.
At least 80 people were killed and over 300 injured in flash floods triggered by a massive cloudburst that hit Leh town of Jammu and Kashmir’s Ladakh region, washing away several government buildings and houses.
In his condolence message, the prime minister said he was “deeply shocked to learn of the loss of lives and devastation in the flash floods caused by the cloudburst in the Choglumsar area near Leh in Ladakh.”
He offered his condolences to the bereaved families and wished speedy recovery to the injured.
He added that the centre would give all “possible help to the state government and the affected people in the rescue and relief operations”.
Vice President Hamid Ansari also expressed his grief and shock at the tragic loss of lives.
He said in his message: “I am deeply grieved and shocked to learn of the tragic loss of life and property caused due to flash floods triggered by massive cloudburst in Leh in the Ladakh region.”
“I join all citizens in sending condolences to the members of the bereaved families and pray to the Almighty to grant them the strength to withstand this immense loss,” he added.
- 80 dead, 300 injured in flash floods in Leh - Aug 06, 2010
- PM announces Rs.1 lakh for kin of Leh cloudburst victims - Aug 06, 2010
- 103 dead, 370 injured in flash floods in Leh - Aug 06, 2010
- PM expresses grief over loss of lives in Leh flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
- PM visits Leh, announces Rs.125-crore relief package (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- Centre will do everything possible for rehabilitation of Leh cloudburst victims: PM - Aug 17, 2010
- Patil donates Rs.1 lakh for Ladakh flood victims - Aug 23, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi mourns deaths in Leh flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
- Every home destroyed in Leh will be rebuilt: PM (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- Destroyed houses in Leh to be rebuilt within three months: Manmohan Singh - Aug 17, 2010
- PM to visit Leh Tuesday - Aug 15, 2010
- BJP mourns Leh flood deaths - Aug 06, 2010
- PM to visit Leh on Tuesday - Aug 15, 2010
- Rains hamper rescue operations in Leh, 25 army men among missing - Aug 07, 2010
- Leh death toll 117, Azad arrives with medical team (Lead) - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: bereaved families, cloudburst, condolence message, condolences, ex gratia, flash floods, government buildings, hamid ansari, immense loss, jammu and kashmir, ladakh region, lakh, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime minster, relief operations, speedy recovery, tragic loss