Plea in SC seeks Assam government’s dismissal (Lead)July 16th, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) The Supreme Court was moved Monday by a petitioner seeking direction to the central government to advise the president to dismiss the Assam government in the wake of a girl’s molestation in Guwahati last week.
Petitioner Satya Pal Anand said that the Tarun Gogoi-led state government has failed to uphold the rule of law and sought compensation for the victim.
Twelve people were involved in molesting and stripping the girl in public outside a pub in Guwahati July 9. Eight suspects have been arrested.
The petitioner said that the Assam government had failed to function in accordance with the provisions of the constitution.
It was a clear case of the violation of the fundamental rights, the petition said.
Anand also sought direction to the state government to recover the amount of compensation from the culprits and officers found negligent.
In another case, the apex court bench of Justice D.K. Jain and Justice Madan B. Lokur issued notice to the Madhya Pradesh government on another petition by Anand seeking ad-interim compensation of Rs.7.5 lakh each for the two school girls who were allegedly gangraped at Betma town in Indore district.
The two schoolgirls were gangraped in February and the CDs of the crime were made and circulated.
The petitioner challenged the Madhya Pradesh High Court order dismissing the plea for grant of compensation to victims.
- Man accuses Rahul of gangrape, fined Rs.50 lakh - Mar 07, 2011
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Two girls gang-raped in Madhya Pradesh - Feb 18, 2012
- Give blast victims artificial limbs in 3 weeks, AIIMS told - Mar 01, 2012
- Guwahati molestation prime accused being brought back to Assam - Jul 24, 2012
- AIIMS gets notice for not giving amputees artificial limbs - Feb 29, 2012
- Union Carbide gets court notice on plea to hike relief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Plea questioning cash awards for cricketers rejected - May 07, 2011
- SC dismisses plea on Delhi, Mumbai airports - Sep 10, 2012
- Supreme Court orders CBI probe in Banda rape - Sep 12, 2011
- Apex court to hear plea to hike Bhopal gas victims' relief - Feb 24, 2011
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- NGO moves apex court on speedy disposal of mercy pleas - Jul 07, 2011
- Court dismisses plea against Mukherjee - Jun 29, 2012
- Endosulfan ban: Supreme Court issues notice (Lead) - May 02, 2011
Tags: anand, apex, apex court, assam government, central government, clear case, court bench, culprits, fundamental rights, jain, madan, madhya pradesh government, molestation, petitioner, plea, rule of law, school girls, schoolgirls, state government, tarun