Plea in SC seeks action against MamataAugust 16th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) A petitioner moved the Supreme Court Thursday seeking the initiation of contempt of court proceedings against West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for her allegations of corruption in judiciary.
Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party chairman Bhim Singh urged the apex court to initiate contempt proceedings against Banerjee or take any other legal action.
The petition also sought direction to the central government to make available the entire record of the speeches of Banerjee on alleged corruption in judiciary.
Speaking on the occasion of the state assembly’s platinum jubilee celebrations Tuesday, Banerjee alleged corruption among a section of the judiciary.
Her comment on the judiciary came a day after the state human rights commission slapped a Rs.50,000 fine on police for arresting a Jadavpur University professor, Ambikesh Mahapatra, in April for circulating e-mails containing cartoons on the chief minister and other Trinamool Congress leaders.
The chief minister’s allegations drew criticism from all quarters, including lawyers and former judges.
- Plea in SC seeks action against Mamata (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Contempt plea against Mamata on judiciary remarks (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Mamata's comment on court judgments flayed by parties - Aug 15, 2012
- Mamata defends her remarks on judiciary (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Mamata defends her remarks on judiciary - Aug 16, 2012
- Kolkata rocked by protests, counter protests - Apr 19, 2012
- Mamata's fight against 'corruption in judiciary' (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- Cartoon row: Bengal rights panel summons Kolkata police chief - Jun 19, 2012
- Twitterati target Mamata regime for professor's arrest - Apr 13, 2012
- Four 'Trinamool workers' held for thrashing professor (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Fresh cartoon row: Bengal professor complains to police - Apr 22, 2012
- Jadavpur professor concerned about his family's security - Apr 14, 2012
- Four Trinamool workers arrested after professor's complaint - Apr 14, 2012
- Mamata loses cool, walks out of TV programme - May 19, 2012
- Professor arrested for circulating Mamata cartoon - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: alleged corruption, apex court, bhim singh, chief minister, congress leaders, contempt of court, contempt proceedings, court proceedings, human rights commission, jadavpur university, jammu and kashmir, jubilee celebrations, mamata banerjee, panthers party, party chairman, platinum jubilee, rs 50, state assembly, trinamool congress, west bengal