Pilibhit Sikhs rally in support VarunMarch 31st, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
By Rajat Rai
Pilibhit, March 31 (IANS) Terming charges against young Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi as a political conspiracy, a section of the Sikh community in this Uttar Pradesh district deny that the controversial politician had said anything against any group.
“A large number of Sikhs and Muslims made it a point to attend Varun’s rally. He has never said a word against any community, be it Sikhs or Muslims,” said Amarjit Singh, a farmer of Gajraula Patti village in Pilibhit.
Some members of the Sikh community gathered at a farm house Tuesday in support of Varun Gandhi, who has courted controversy after allegedly making inflammatory speeches against Muslims during his election rallies March 6 and 7.
According to the statistics by the district administration, there are over 90,000 Punjabi and Sikh voters in Pilibhit. The district has over one million voters. Sikh and Punjabis of this district are mainly farmers.
“We support Varun and reject and condemn all attempts to defame, malign and prosecute him. We stand behind the proud son of India,” said Virender Singh of Udaykaranpur village.
The gathering of over 100 representatives of the Sikh community from all parts of the district also saw a few Muslims backing Varun.
“It is a conspiracy by the Congress and the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party to pull down our rising star. The Congress does not want any other Gandhi to go above Rahul Gandhi,” said Aslam Quraishi of Puranpur village.
“If Varun has said anything about a community, why aren’t the leaders and members of that community protesting? It is totally a political conspiracy,” said another villager, Mahal Singh of Arjunpur.
“Maneka Gandhi has been our MP for the past five terms and we promise a huge victory for Varun also. Not only Sikhs and Punjabis, all the residents of Pilibhit support Varun,” said Buta Singh of Damgarhi village.
Varun Gandhi was jailed for the alleged hate speeches Saturday. He was later booked for inciting violence in the region.
He was granted bail by a court here in two criminal cases but will remain behind the bars as he also faces charges under the stringent National Security Act (NSA).
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Pilibhit worries over development, not hate speeches - Apr 03, 2009
- Thanks to Varun, Pilibhit is a house divided - May 11, 2009
- After BSP, Rahul Gandhi targets BJP - Dec 29, 2011
- Notice to Varun Gandhi for defamatory remarks during Lok Sabha polls - Jul 28, 2010
- 60 constituencies in final phase of UP polls - Mar 02, 2012
- Varun called Sikhs 'Khalistanis' during polls, says complainant - Aug 26, 2009
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Sikhs on warpath in Pilibhit after holy book desecrated - Sep 16, 2011
- High court notice to Varun Gandhi in defamation case - Jul 28, 2010
- Delhi's Sikhs protest against Varun Gandhi - Mar 27, 2009
- Charges filed against Varun for anti-Muslim speeches - Jul 15, 2009
- Varun Gandhi exhorts voters to rise against Mayawati (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Varun Gandhi plays communal card - and even BJP taken aback - Mar 16, 2009
- Chargesheet against Varun Gandhi ready: police - Jun 23, 2009
Tags: amarjit singh, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, buta singh, controversial politician, district administration, election rallies, maneka gandhi, political conspiracy, proud son, punjabis, quraishi, rahul gandhi, rising star, sikh community, sikhs and muslims, uttar pradesh, varun gandhi, villager, virender