Photo-finish in Chhattisgarh, Congress ahead elsewhere: MoilyNovember 16th, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 16 (IANS) It’s going to be a photo-finish in the Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP)-ruled Chhattisgarh and the Congress has strong chances to return to power in other two BJP-ruled states, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, Congress general secretary M. Veerappa Moily said Sunday. “It looks like Chhattisgarh is heading for a photo-finish. Corruption, bad governance and poor law and order in the BJP ruled state are helping the Congress,” Moily told IANS here.
Chhattisgarh, which has 90 seats with 34 members of the Congress in the outgoing state assembly, is going to polls for the second and the final phase, Nov 20, for 51 seats while voting had already been held for 39 seats Nov 14.
Moily said: “Congress has strong chances of forming the government in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh due to the proven corruption-related cases against the incumbents during their five-year tenure.”
Madhya Pradesh goes to polls Nov 27 to elect a new 230-member assembly while Rajasthan which has 200 assembly seats goes to polls Dec 4.
Moily claimed that “in Delhi, Congress has an edge over BJP as people trust chief minister Sheila Dikshit.” The Congress-ruled Delhi goes to polls Nov 29 to elect a 70-member assembly.
- Presidential election: Break-up of votes polled - Jul 22, 2012
- Coalgate: Rajnath demands probe by SC judge - Sep 08, 2012
- BJP keeps Maoist issue alive in Chhattisgarh: Congress - Jun 09, 2011
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Presidential poll voting ends in Himachal - Jul 19, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- Congress says it will win Bastar by-poll - Apr 27, 2011
- No difference between Congress and BJP, Anna tells Digvijay - Oct 14, 2011
- Poll results disappointing, shed factionalism: Sonia (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Congress in poor shape in Madhya Pradesh - Nov 21, 2010
- Identify the corrupt, Congress tells Team Anna - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Tainted' BJP leader files Rajya Sabha papers - Mar 19, 2012
- Hung assembly in Uttar Pradesh, SP on top: survey - Feb 06, 2012
- India awaits vote count with fingers crossed - Mar 05, 2012
- BJP stunned as Karnataka, Himachal, Jharkhand lawmakers cross-vote (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012