Petrol hike hits Congress in HatiaMay 24th, 2012 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 24 (IANS) The petrol price hike has put the Congress in Jharkhand in an embarrassing situation ahead of the June 15 Hatia assembly byelection.
The poll process began this week with the notification. The seat was won by the Congress in 2004 by just 24 votes.
Both ruling and opposition parties except the Congress have condemned the hike in petrol price that went into effect from Wednesday midnight.
Congress leaders privately admit that the increase in petrol prices will give an edge to their opponents in the election.
“The timing of the hike will go against our candidate,” a Congress leader told IANS on condition of anonymity.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is all set to cash in on the issue.
“This is a gift of the UPA government to the country on completing three years in power,” Pradeep Sinha of BJP told IANS.
The Hatia seat fell vacant after the death of Gopal Nath Sahdeo of the Congress in 2010.
The ruling BJP and its ally All Jharkhand Stuents Union have fielded Ramjilal Sarda and Naveen Jaiswal as their respective candidates
Congress candidate Sunil Sahay is the younger brother of central Tourism Minister and Lok Sabha MP Subodh Kant Sahay.
The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik has fielded Ajay Nath Sahdeo.
- Whom to support for Hatia by-poll? JMM to decide May 28 - May 26, 2012
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll: AJSU leads; BJP, Congress trail - Jun 15, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll Tuesday amid tight security - Jun 11, 2012
- AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- 42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJP - Jun 06, 2012
- Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJP (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Voting under way in Hatia bypoll in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2012
- Dhoni casts vote in Jharkhand by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- Assembly recount after two years! - Dec 18, 2011
- Six in fray for two Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 19, 2012
- Jharkhand Congress legislator dies - Jun 29, 2010
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: Congress, JMM win, BJP loses - May 03, 2012
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: ally, anonymity, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress candidate, congress leader, congress leaders, hatia, jaiswal, jharkhand, Lok Sabha, opposition parties, petrol price hike, petrol prices, ranchi, sahay, sarda, subodh, sunil, tourism minister